Got my first call duck today

Jody

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Epping, NH
Hi everyone.

I haven't posted in quite a long time. Been busy through a hectic winter, etc, but wanted to come back here to make some posts regarding my chickens, and I just got my first call duck today. A female under a yr old and the prev. owner says it's blind, but my what a cute little ducky it is.

At the moment I have it in temporary housing. It's in a large dog crate which is in the barn with a canvas tarp over it. It's about 40/45 out there.. I assume she'll be ok, right? For bedding inside are pine shavings and hay and she has a bowl with food and another for water. Is this an ok setup for a couple days til I build her permanent duck home?

I wasn't prepared for this duck when I got it. I went to look at a goat that was for sale and the owner said the goat loved this duck and since she showed me all her different fowl and poultry we got talking since I have chickens and mentioned I was going to eventually get ducks, so, she gives me this cutest little call duck as a gift, and as a little friend to the 2yr old goat I purchased.

2lux6r5.jpg

Last edited:

tplummer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Salisbury, NC
Congrats!!
We raise them as well, we have snowy, white and grey. We are getting pair of Butterscotch from a friend when they hatch!!
woot.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:

Jody

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Epping, NH
I never held a duck before today. I love this little cutie and her cute little quacks and calls, lol. Funny, it likes being held laying on her back in my hands, and I didn't know that ducks have little claws, so I have some scratches today from her. I want to get more ducks now.. Been planning on getting some and wanting some, but always procrastinating, but now that I have her, well, I definitely want some more once I build permanent housing for them... soooo adorable. The woman I got her from said late this month or early next she's gonna email me to see if I want to hatch some eggs.

This woman loves her birds.. she had Muscovies, other ducks, call ducks, many kinds of chickens, Guinea fowl, turkey, peacock.

I thought ducks, chickens, etc had to be housed separate, but she had several coops, pens, runs etc and chickens mixed with ducks, etc.. even a goat living with chickens, lol.. the goat I bought today.. cleaning dried hard chicken poop off her isn't easy.

All I know is, my ducks will be separate from my chickens.. I am keeping this duck away from my chickens cause I don't think it's a good idea cause the duck could be carrying something from the other chickens and give it to my chickens.

Call Queen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Wow, isn't she cute! What color is she? maybe choc white bibbed? You do realize Call ducks are the most addictive breed of duck LOL ( at least I think so)
smile.png

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
A big congratulations to you! I'm a new call duck owner, too (I got a butterscotch pair not long ago), and they're such sweet, adorable little ducks! Your new girl is such a cutie.
love.gif

Top Bottom