Got My First Chicks Today - Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rose66, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Well I got my very first chicks today! They are from McMurray Hatchery and they all arrived alive and healthy. They are absolutely beautiful and so sweet and innocent. I ordered 36, plus the free rare chick, and they put in two extras for a total of 39 chicks. Got them home and in the brooder box, dunked their beaks in water and they all went to drinking and running around like crazy. Then I noticed the waterer was leaking a little so we decided to put it up on a piece of wood to level it out. Somehow a silver polish baby got under the waterer when I set it back down and we didn't know it, so the precious baby was squished to death. [​IMG] We found him/her after about 20 minutes, I just hope the death was quick. I feel so stupid for doing this. I called myself being careful to watch all the chicks when I set the waterer down but they were all darting around and obviously, I wasn't paying close enough attention. I'm so sad and I feel guilty for causing a needless death. Tomorrow I'm going to hang the water from the ceiling but obviously low enough for all the chicks to get to it.

Anyway, I put some food in shortly after I got them home and they all went crazy eating and drinking and running around. They are such a riot to watch and are not the least bit scared of us. These chicks run to our hands when we reach in the brooder and some will climb into our hands and eat. I hope they stay friendly. Here in Alabama, it's in the low 100's already and when I put the chicks in the brooder, the temp was 97-99 degrees by a thermometer at chick level. The high temp did not seem to bother the chicks at all. When it started getting dark tonight, I put a white heat lamp hanging over the brooder. I was going to use a red lamp but it was broke when I pulled it out of the box so for tonight, a white light will have to work. They had already begun to settle down in one area of the box and peeping louder than normal but when I turned on the light, they all went back to eating, drinking, and running around. It was almost like they couldn't see the food and water very well so they had decided to huddle together instead of eating and drinking. Temp had only dropped to 88 in the brooder so I don't think they were too cold. But when I turned the lamp on they all jumped up and started running around eating and drinking again. It was like, "Oh our food and water is back!! Yeah!!!" Very funny to watch.

I'm already fascinated by these little ones and I can't wait to watch them grow. Of course I'm worried sick about them spending their first night in the coop and I've already told my husband that if he hears the side door open several times during the night that it's just me going to check the temperature in the box and check on the chicks. He's so sweet and understanding.

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Sorry for your loss of the little chick! Mistakes happen...that's how we learn...
    As for them freaking out when you put the light out...they tend to be scared of the dark until a bit more mature.They will "pile" up for safety and for warmth.
    Sounds like you are getting them off to a good start with being friendly [​IMG] Just keep paying attention to them daily and before you know it they'll be a right pain and you won't be able to get them to leave you alone [​IMG] I know this from experience!
    hope you have fun raising your chicks! I know this site has been a savior for me and my flock! Good Luck and have fun [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Chickens can't see in the dark. It's true that they probably couldn't really see the feeder/waterer until you put the lamp back in - especially if they were used to the brighter light. As they grow up and get out in the routine of the sunshine, they will learn to go to bed BEFORE it gets too dark for them to see to find their roost, but obviously that won't happen while they are living under artificial light.
    They are a hoot, definitely fun to watch! Chicken TV is the best channel ever and when you're brooding chicks under a lamp it's always on!

4. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    you're in for an awful lot of fun! where in alabama are you? we're in decatur. good luck with your new fuzzy butts! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by