Got My First Egg!!!! But my poor hen had a rough time!

Atrayu

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
Hermosa, South Dakota
I am so excited to get my first egg yesterday from one of my Gold Stars and then found one this morning in one of the nesting boxes from one of my RIRs. Lucy, the RIR had a rough time laying. She was crying, panting and pushing for the longest time (she was doing this as I was securing the coop for the night). The other girls seemed to be looking at her in horror. I was imagining that they were thinking "If it is going to be that painful, I am not laying any eggs for him!" LOL! Do some hens have more difficulty laying than others? The Gold Star didn't seem to have that much problem. I hope it gets easier for her.

Both eggs were a nice size, especially for the first time and beautifully colored!
Not very many people outside the Chicken world, understand the anticipation, excitement and celebration we feel when finding that first egg.
So thanks for the opportunity to share this with you all!
Mark

103384_marks_first_egg.jpg

I am the caretaker of 19 beatiful, docile, oranic hens including
5 RIRs - Ruby Rae, Wilma, Lucy, Shy and Dawn,
3 Buff Orpingtons - Big Momma, Linda Lu and Buffy (the GrassHopper Slayer)
3 Gold Stars - Chickitita, Carol Ann and Melba
3 Barred Rock - Betty, BeBe and Bonita
3 Australorps - Phoenix, Shanaynay and Shaneequa
2 Americaunas - Beatrice and Eloise

Hi Mark,

congratulations on that fist egg---and then the second.

My hens have been acting, lately, as if it is harder to get that egg produced. I am wondering if the horrendous heat has anything to do with it---- I'll be following your question to see what answers you get to this question.

Hopefully subsequent eggs will be easier to lay.

Thank you for your comment. I think the heat may have something to do with it. It was in near 100 degrees here in the Black Hills of SD (thats very hot for us). Some the girls were walking around with the wings up in the air trying to cool down. Fortunately, they found some good shady spots to hide from the hot sun.

I'm sitting here listening to my BR hollar and yell. I'm pretty sure she's trying to lay an egg because she's been in and out of the coop all morning (not characteristic for her), and she's pretty interested in the next boxes. She keeps rolling around the golf ball that's in there. LOL

My EE has layed about 8 eggs in the last 10 days (her first was 10 days ago). She has only been carrying on with a big song and dance AFTER she lays it. I'm not sure if my BR is having trouble or just being vocal. I'm also hoping this isn't a new normal. Generally they're all (4 hens) pretty quiet with some chattering every now and then. Gearing up for these first few eggs has had them all making a whole lot of noise. I'm hoping it isn't permanent (I know they'll make noise to some extent) as I live in a very suburban neighborhood. My Astralorpe and SSussex have yet to lay or make a bunch of noise. Heaven help me if they all get going at once. LOL!

Mine seems to have a hard time of it, too. I went out this morning and watched her labor with her third egg. Panting, growling, and generally miserable. I felt bad for her.
sad.png
But it was a gorgeous egg!
big_smile.png

EDIT TO ADD:
gig.gif
Buffy the Grasshopper Slayer! My buff mixes were (are still are, I suppose) named Buffy and Copper (I wanted Willow but kids win). We rarely call them that, though, because they're obnoxiously loud. Instead, we call them Bawk and Squawk.

Last edited:
I like to think it gets easier for them. Luckily it seems chickens live pretty much in the moment and once it's over, it's over, and they don't worry that tomorrow they'll have to go through it again.

Quote:
Yes it's been pretty hot here lately as well. 99 yesterday. About the same today, I think. She's my loudest hen anyway - she chatters and murmers every single time I even open the back door (even to let the dog in). So I figured she would be my loud layer. LOL Unfortunately, I don't think I've heard the half of it - she still hasn't layed that egg. I'm certain I'll know it when she finally does!

wink.png

Quote:
Yes it's been pretty hot here lately as well. 99 yesterday. About the same today, I think. She's my loudest hen anyway - she chatters and murmers every single time I even open the back door (even to let the dog in). So I figured she would be my loud layer. LOL Unfortunately, I don't think I've heard the half of it - she still hasn't layed that egg. I'm certain I'll know it when she finally does!

wink.png

And the loudest is my BR---- and she is my biggest and heaviest hen... It was 106 today not counting the heat index...I am struggling to keep them cool. Mine have been laying since May with no fuss----and these last days it is as if they are in pain... I have a very small coop/egg-laying area---it is insulated and I put a gallon jug of frozen water inside. The smart ones lay in the morning---my biggest one was afternoon---and it seemed she couldn't lay, in the coop, outta the coop, walk around, sqwak--- I sprayed everything down with water---I change out the ice jug so it is fresh from the freezer.... It is like labor. Before they would just pop out the egg. I blame our heat.

zonoma--- Great name 'buffy the grasshopper slayer'!

Back
Top Bottom