Got my first egg! But on the coldest day here in NY!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by s6bee, Jan 2, 2008.

1. s6bee

s6bee Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    So happy I got my first egg today ( the girls are 25 wks. 3 days old ). I think it came from my SLW. Anyway, it's 17 degrees here today and I chose to not let the girls out. I came back to check on them a few hours later when I found the egg, but it is sooo cold. Is it OK? The water in the coop is not frozen and so I don't think the egg is either. Should I worry? No roo so no fertility issues.

Also, how do I post pictures? Never tried.

Steph

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Songster

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Congrats on the first egg!! [​IMG]

3. skatcatla

skatcatla Songster

Jun 26, 2007
    I'm sure its fine. Eggs are pretty hardy.

To post a photo, first you'll need to post your photo to an online website for photo sharing. I like flickr.com myself.

Once you have your photos uploaded, right click on the photo and select properties. That will give you the url that starts http://......jpg. You want to use your mouse to copy that link by highlighting it and selecting ctrl C.

Click on the Img button above, and then in between the tags, paste the url for the photo.

:-D

4. arlee453

arlee453 Songster

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    [​IMG]

Ok, that's me there in that smiley. I'm not really laughing....it's just that that one is GREEN which I am - GREEN WITH ENVY!!

Congrats on the egg....I'm hoping I'll have pretty egg pics soon. But your post gives me hope - my SLWs are 21.5 weeks, so maybe before Jan is out I'll have some eggs too???

5. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Songster

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    [​IMG] Yay for your first egg!!!

My girls are 17 weeks old and I've been hoping that they're over-achievers and lay soon!

6. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Songster

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Congrats! I'm in upstate NY so I hear ya about the cold, here it's about 4 degrees today. Unless the egg is cracked it's OK. Eggs crack when they freeze ( I discovered the hard way [​IMG]) so I try to colllect them as soon as possible. Bon Apetite!

7. s6bee

s6bee Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Thanks everyone. I'm thrilled. [​IMG] I've posted my picture somewhere else but here it is again. I really gave up thinking they would hold out till spring. They are 25+ weeks old, but I am hearing that a lot of folks are getting thier eggs late too.
    Does this usually pull the others into laying as well?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: