Got my first egg....got my last egg

buffmarsden

In the Brooder
Hi pretty new to the chicken world and every day i think i learn something new or at least get a new question that i try to find an answer to. I have one hen that started to lay and continues to lay me an egg every day while another started Friday gave me another on Saturday and have only have had one egg in the box the last two days. my question is it normal for a pullet to start then stop a couple of days before starting again. my other question is that if i only hatch eggs from then pullet that laid a couple weeks earlier than this one or my other when she eventually starts to produce as well, will those chicks lay eggs early like there mom or is that something that is not passed down?

Greetings...yes, when hens begin laying it is not uncommon for them to pause in laying frequency. Plus, an egg a day per bird is not realistic over the long run. Obviously some breeds are better layers than others but I think that chickens that lay 240-260 eggs per year are considered quite prolific. Other things influence lay rate...excessive heat, birds getting scared by an event, adding new birds, length of day, molting etc. Plus production goes down after the second (if not first) year. Good luck to you and your hens.

Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some great advice from Redsoxs. To try to answer your question, I would think that its a little more complicated, genetically speaking, when it comes to the age of POL. Having said that, I would never breed from a poor layer. It seems to me that even from the same parents, pullets do not begin to lay at the same time, so it seems its more down to the individual bird.

Best wishes
CT

Yeah, what she said!
goodpost.gif

One of my Rhode Island Reds left me an egg Friday, the very first one. Today is Tuesday and we haven't had any from a Red since. Today there was one from a Leghorn though. I came here looking for info regarding requency of laying with young girls. Good to know there can be a pause in between eggs at first. It has been awfully hot as well. I'll be patient!

Back
Top Bottom