Got my first eggs...but I have questions

krowl

Songster
Feb 23, 2017
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Got two eggs today!! However, I am supposed to be gone for two days this weekend so now I have a zillion questions about whether to have someone come collect my eggs? Can eggs stay out in the heat for a day or do they go bad? Can they stay in the coop in general for a day or two(ive heard about these chickens that eat the eggs)?

BGcoop

Crowing
Aug 5, 2018
How warm is it going to be? If not too hot the eggs should be fine- many people do not refrigerate eggs. Higher temps though if you have fertile eggs and development could start. I personally would have someone collect them for you daily (so they can also check on your hens) if you have someone available.
Also congrats on your new eggs!:woot

Folly's place

Enabler
10 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
It's always best to have someone responsible at least check on the birds once daily when you are gone. I have a nice neighbor check on them and she gets any eggs that turn up. I also have other critters, and friends who share in having livestock, so we are all happy to check up on each other's animals during trips away.
Things can happen, and a once of twice a day visit will pay off.
It may be possible to hire a pet sitter, ask at your veterinarian's.
Mary

Last edited:

chrissynemetz

Psalm 91 ❤
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 19, 2013
Olathe Colorado
If it's just for a few days the eggs should be fine at that temp. :)
But if it's at all possible, I really would try to get somebody to pop in and check on them once a day. Just in case anything goes wrong.

Top Bottom