Got my meal worms ready to make my farm--questions

Quote:
Do you ever give the young lad 24-30% protein game bird feed, to feed his birds?
That's what nasty evil Me feeds my birds. It's a bit pricey...at 34 cents a pound for 30% GBS, but worth the price. IMHO. I also don't have 500 chickens/ducks/geese, or what ever to feed, so I do have a focused feed stream.

I'll bet when he is faced with raising meal worms, he will put us all to shame. He will probably figure out the life cycle of "meal worms" (Not really "worms" at all) ,(Something...so called adults) have yet to figure out. Their protein content, and put us all to shame.

That would be sooooo...Cool!

Well I got my mealworms yesterday...and yes Joe, I did LOVE to see my button quail run up to the bars of her cage and SMILE at me and say "I love you!" just before she slurped down the worm spaghetti style!
lau.gif
We might be putting human personality traits on our birds but it sure is FUN!
That said, I have set the 50 (now 49) worms up in a cottage cheese container with oatmeal and a carrot...I will see what happens...Terri O--who is MW farming on a tiny scale!

Quote:
Do you ever give the young lad 24-30% protein game bird feed, to feed his birds?
That's what nasty evil Me feeds my birds. It's a bit pricey...at 34 cents a pound for 30% GBS, but worth the price. IMHO. I also don't have 500 chickens/ducks/geese, or what ever to feed, so I do have a focused feed stream.

I'll bet when he is faced with raising meal worms, he will put us all to shame. He will probably figure out the life cycle of "meal worms" (Not really "worms" at all) ,(Something...so called adults) have yet to figure out. Their protein content, and put us all to shame.

That would be sooooo...Cool!

He is pretty sharp so im sure he will figure out things we never dreamed of. Can't put a price learning experiences and fun for a kid. At least I can't. And yes we feed our birds 24-30% protien game bird feed. The worms are just a treat. It is making the birds become much more tame and love to see us coming.

Never underestimate the power of a bribe!

My Silkies have gotten so enthusiastic over them they peck at my fingers and HOLD ON! I picked one up off the ground a few inches just to see if she would hold on. The answer is "yes" and "get the bandaids". I think the mealworms worked TOO well.

Best entertainment I've had in a long time. Of course, I don't get out much.

I have had my colony going for 4 months now
Now all i have is 4 tubs of beetles but how long do the beetles live ??
Should i transfer them to another bin yet
They have been Beetle since 24 November was the first ones
give us a clue????????

Make sure you have proper bedding, Bran or Oates. I even use left over dog food before. I transfer extra beetles in tubs just put in baby carrots and they will lay eggs and once they die just throw them out my Guineas love to eat the beetles.
Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
The beetles live about 3 months. Make sure when you clean their bins that you DO NOT throw the used substrate away! This is where most of your eggs (and teeny tiny mealworms) are at. I put the used substrate in an ice cream bucket for a while until the worms are big enough to pick out.
I used to move the bugs to another bin, but that got to be too much of a pita. I use the chickens' feed as 'bedding' in my mealworm bin, it's been going strong for at least a year. I use cut potatoes as their 'liquid', just toss one in there every few weeks, or whenever the bugs start begging (trying to climb out).

I now have my first little colony, about 20 beetles. I caught them breeding yesterday, so it won't be long now. It's really an interesting experience.

2 days ago I watched one emerge from it's crysilus and dry out. It was pretty awesome and I took a few pictures that I'll try to upload later.

If you put anything in their bin for moisture that they don't completely eat (like potatoes, usually the skin area dries out) make sure that you don't throw it out. This is also a favorite spot for them to lay their eggs.

Thanks I never thought of that one. I threw out my last potatoe piece. Hope there was nothing but potatoe there.

Back
Top Bottom