Got new ducklings - What are they?

JulieNKC

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Kansas City
I found some new ducklings to keep my khaki campbell company. I'm sure the 2 huge ducks are pekins, and I think a boy and girl since one quacks. What are the black and white ones? Anconas?
68502_p1050697.jpg

It looks like you have 2 Pekins and I'm not sure if the other 2 are Magpie or Ancona. Your Khaki is a very cute baby... but that duck in the front looks kind of defective you may want to trade it back
lau.gif
lau.gif

I agree--either magpie or ancona. Based on the size & markings, I'm going to guess magpie. Magpie markings are HARD to get right, and I've rarely seen any that are close to as well-marked as the magpies I have from Holderread. The fact that the color seems to be mostly on the back with a touch on the head makes me think likely magpie, especially if the one facing the photo has similar markings. Are they the same age as the pekins? I'm asking because anconas tend to be a larger bird, and magpies tend to be midway between a khaki and a pekin, so the size might be a clue too.

They are all beautiful.
smile.png

I think they are the same age. It doesn't really matter what they are to me, just wanted some ducks to keep my duckling company. I'm hoping I have at least a couple of girls. I'm sure one if the pekins is, she quacks her freaking head off, lol. Everyone else still peeps.
Are magpies or anconas more common in hatcheries? I could call the feedstore my friend got them from and ask what hatchery they use, then find out what kind of ducks they sell I guess.

I called, they came from Estes. They don't sell magpies, so looks like they are anconas.
smile.png
Now I know what they are, just got to wait to see how many boys and girls I have.

Back
Top Bottom