got off her nest!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alice, Sep 28, 2007.

1. alice

alice New Egg

Sep 28, 2007
    being very new to this i have a hen who is sitting on eggs and today when i put in her daily food i noticed she was drawling with mites! so i went to the pet shop and they gave me a spray which i used as directed which said basically spray hen and nesting box, i did this and thought ok great but she didn't get back on her nest for 4 hours she has been sitting on what i hope are fertille eggs for 17 days are they going to be no good now? how long can she get off for? she did get back on but normally only gets off for 10-15 mins!
    aaahhhh! have i ruined this?
    alice:eek:

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Alice. This late in the stage, I dont think it "ruined" them....might delay the hatch a few hours. Im glad she got back on them. Keep us posted on the hatch!

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Alice, I agree with justasnak, they may be delayed an hour or so but they will be fine.
    My hen was locked out accidently for 1/2 a day and her chicks still arrived on time.

4. alice

alice New Egg

Sep 28, 2007
    thanks guys i was worried it would be all over!
    i am so looking forward to chicks!
    she is happily sitting on them again and one of the other hens has sat in her nesting box with her maybe she thought they needed extra bum warmth![​IMG]

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh thats so sweet, now dont worry about your
    mumma hen, she will get off every couple of days to stretch her legs, have a poop, and eat,drink and dust bathe!!!
    Let us know how she goes.
    Helen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by