Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
lol.png
We got out first eggs today, I have NO idea who laid them because

1. My son found the first under the roosts, a green/blue one

2. One of our white chickens, actually she is our only white pullet (breed???) was sitting in the corner of the coop (not in a nest, they won't keep the straw and stuff in them) earlier today and I just went out and found 13 WHITE eggs.

So:

A - how do I figure out who is laying what and when and HOW do I get them in the nest and leave the straw and/or pine shaving in there??

B - what do I do with the eggs? I mean how do I clean them and do they need to be refridgerated right away

C - can these 'first' eggs be eaten right away?? I have seen mixed feelings on this.

These are a bit crazy questions, but this is all new to us.

Any help would be great appreciated! Also they are still on pellets/grower and I will be changing them over this weekend.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated too.

A. You will catch them eventually laying one at a time. I use wood eggs painted white and left them in the nest boxes now my chickens lay next to the fake ones.

B. Eat the eggs that is why you have chickens
smile.png
Clean them with a mild soap and dry and store in the fridge. When they are laid they are chicken temp which is hotter than the outside air so they will be fine. Try to check twice a day as chickens lay for about 6 days one hour later each day then reset and skip a day.

C. I ate my first eggs, actually wife put them in muffins. Up to you they are your eggs.

Lucky you! We only got 1 egg initially, gently cooked in butter then split 4 ways. Eggs are very much ok for days before put in refrig, but we always refrig same day. Have at them! Good luck!

A - how do I figure out who is laying what and when and HOW do I get them in the nest and leave the straw and/or pine shaving in there??
Not sure if you know but the color of their ear lobes is what color egg they lay. Red means brown eggs, exception is Americana they lay the blue/green ones.
Our feed store sells "decoy" eggs, we put one in the next boxes and eventually they learn.

B - what do I do with the eggs? I mean how do I clean them and do they need to be refridgerated right away
Eat them! As long at there is no "blood" in them and their sheels are intact they are fine to eat. You may even get a double yolkers or a no yoker! Fresh eggs can go unrefrigerated for like 30 days. We just leave ours on the counter.

C - can these 'first' eggs be eaten right away?? I have seen mixed feelings on this.
See above

I don't wash mine until I am ready to crack them open. Just rinse them under the faucet. Once you wash them, you take the "bloom" off which is the protective coating that keeps air and germs from getting into the egg through the pores in the shell. I also crack each one into a different bowl before incorporating into what I am making - just in case there is something icky, I can throw just that one egg out instead of everything I am mixing up. They are SOOOO yummy! So different from store eggs - they cook up lighter and fluffier and taste way richer. Enjoy!
love.gif

yippiechickie.gif
yeahhhhhh! we just got our first 2 eggs too!! in the last few days from our new flock after a move!!
wee.gif
so eggciting!!
lau.gif

I know we have 2 EE's but not sure what color their ears are. The white one that laid the white eggs has grey legs, but not sure what color the ears are. One of our black ones has sort of blue/green ears and the other black one, who knows. LOL We only have 5 pullets but 2 roosters.

I was worried that they would NOT start laying because one of the roosters is ALWAYS in the coop (the other rooster makes him stay in there). We have no where to put him at this time.

Here they are and I am still in SHOCK at getting so many in one day.

82890_100_1932.jpg

Back
Top Bottom