Got rabbits? need some info on breeding

okiechick57

Crowing
14 Years
May 22, 2007
Just outside Okc Oklahoma
I just recieved a male rabbit............female is already tired..if you know what I mean......
hmm.png
wink.png
so.......can anyone tell me......how long do you keep them together?how much is too much? and how long is term for pregnancy with rabbits.I had some way back when I was young....so do not recall.....I just want to give this poor girl a break.........

i would not keep them too long together for male rabbits tend to get aggressive. a few times a day for a short time. i believe a female will remain pregnant for three months. can't guarantee though.

If he has been in the same cage for a while, several days, that is enough if he has been covering her. You can seperate them. the gestation for rabbits is approx 28-30 days. Somewhere around day 26 or so, put a nest box in there for her and give her some hay to make her nest with. She will gather it up and take it in the box. When she is getting ready to have the babies, she will pull some of her fur off her chest and belly for the nest too.
smile.png

When breeding rabbits its best to put the female in the male's cage to avoid female agression. Usually one "session" is enough and it should only last a few minutes, but you may want to try it 2 or 3 times over the course of a day or two to make sure. If you see the male mount the female take her out after he has fallen off. Repeated matings will stress the female and may cause her to miscarriage. The gestation period is 28 days but there is a bit of variation so 26 to 30 days is normal. After the female is bred put her in her own cage and offer her normal feeding for about two weeks. At this time offer alfalfa hay to give her extra protein. The reason for waiting is that overweight does can have trouble giving birth. Place a clean nestbox in the cage five days before she is expected to give birth, any earlier may cause her to use it as a litter box. Straw works best as nesting material but any dry and absorbant material will work, she will add her own fur so the nest should be plenty warm since its summer. I know its hard to resist checking on the babies but it is best not to touch them ubtil they are at least a week old. Reaching into the nestbox stresses the female and may cause her to eat her own babies. Does only feed their kits a few times a day (maybe only once) this is normal so don't get freaked out if you think she isn't feeding them. When she does feed it will probably be at night. Does also only go in the nest box to nurse so you won't really see her in there that much. I wish you the best!

Hi! Best of luck with your baby bunnies coming! I'm a rabbit breeder myself. Ditto on all that picco advised. Only thing I do differently is I put my girls in with the bucks in the evening for 2-3 breedings (make sure they grunt & fall off). And then again I do it in the following morning to increase litter size, a larger litter means more little ones to love but also smaller babies which will help for an easier delivery. Also if it IS a large litter you can give the doe a couple of fruit flavor tums every day for added calcium as well. And LOTS of fresh water to keep the milk coming. If they don't pull fur for their nest I keep on hand a substitute fluff made for that or I pull fur from the doe myself along the flanks and belly. Need advice when the big day comes feel free to email me! I find that my babies are always 31 days.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.....he was in there with her for a few days......never saw him "fall" off....did he still do it right?or should they fall? I just moved him out because he was on her all the time? I will need more help as time goes on.......will take you up on your offer of advice,thank you so much

Well even if you didn't see him fall off after the deed doesn't mean he didn't do it. It can literally be a split second for him. I would say more than likely he got the job done while you weren't looking.

Back
Top Bottom