Got Some 4 week old chics today; sneezing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sgtvanmp, Feb 11, 2012.

1. sgtvanmp

sgtvanmp New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    [​IMG]Hi, I purchased some chics from a local feed store. I was told that they are about 4 weeks old. They were already being kept outside and it gets fairly cold here in West Texas. I have noticed that they are sneezing and seem to have a gurgling sound when they breath. I was thinking they may have a cold. I am newish to having chickens so, don't think I am crazy. If you have any help, let me know. I have added pics of the babies.

2. Rasuka

Rasuka Out Of The Brooder

Do you have a heat lamp outside in their coop?

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Chickens don't really get "colds" like humans. They do get respitory illness like MS and MG. I would look these up if were you and read up on them, it may be what they have.

4. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    Chickens dont get colds. Chickens do not sneeze becasue they are cold. Chickens dont gurggle when they are cold. These chickens are SICK. Take them back and sterilize EVERYTHING they have touched. FYI they look older than 4 weeks. You got ripped off.
    Probably Infectious Coryz or some other respitory crud. If you want to try to save them-SULMET in the water. Even if they live they will be carriers so if you want to get more chickens you will be risking them as well. You sadly got taken and no at that age unless its like under freezing they dont need light, just protection from wind...a dry place to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by