Got to be a better way.

Lollypop

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 31, 2013
There has got to be a better way to cut this cage wire than these stinkin" tin snips !!!!!

May be operator malfunction I'll admit but this is a pain in the......well you know. Any of y'all have any ideas of a better way?

Just practice on some scrap wire first! I gouged some wire I didn't want to cut the first time I used one.
OK, I'd love to see how those smart old men taught you to cut the wire smoothly.

Actually Sill, I have a holding pen I need to put wire on, but I'm in the middle of "Fix the @!#$% tractor"

Maybe in a couple days I can get Judy to hold the camera whilst I 'Splain how. Its dead simple, and you're gonna go AH HA!

Minimize the cutting by bending the corners. Bend where you want to cut and then use the tin snips

I use a rotary cutting tool. Kind of like a super size dremel. They make special wheels. Makes quick work.

I also try to build my cage to a certain width or height to minimize my cutting. So if you can but 18" tall wire....build your cage that instead of 12".

Make sure you grind those pokey pieces down. Don't want a bird to lose an eye....or scratch your arm, rip clothes while reaching in.

I used side cutters for the welded wire and tin snips for the hardware cloth.

Does the rotary cutting tool leave smooth cuts, or do you get some sharp edges?

I agree there should be a better way. However, I thinks cruiser is right, the best way is to minimize cutting by designing for certain wire sizes. Then you mostly clip around obstacles and make end cuts.

Its technique, there's only one way to do it right, I can't really teach it through text only, but you have to cut along a wire using it to guide your cutters
and to cut against to get a smooth cut, rolling the left piece up and away, and the right piece down and away (against my leg)
(which side up matters)
you'll know you're doing it right when you have to start at the other side to clip the stickers.

I'm sure it won't, but I hope that helps someone.

The rotary tool CAN leave smooth cuts. If you cut along where the verticals and horizontals come together. The key is to not be impatient. Go slow. Let the speed of the wheel do the work. Don't force it. There are a few different cutting wheels. Cheap garbage paper ones - work but dont last long if you push them. Tougher fiberglass looking ones - better for cutting. And stone diamond coated ones. I have not tried the diamond ones to cut....only grind.

Really I prefer to just use side cutters, cutting as close as possible. Then use my rotary tool to clean up sharp spots. Its faster to snip, and saves on the wheels to just grind a bit.

Its a combination attack.

I've got a dremel with a cutting blade. I'm going to try that. I think I may practice the snips too.

The designing around a certain size wire is brilliant.

I build wooden cages from pallet and crate wood then screen areas for ventilation and such. I do this to cut down on the amount of wire I need. That stuff is expensive.
Soon as I get it done I'll post pics so y'all can see.

Back
Top Bottom