got wet, now lethargic

tarragon

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Bothell, WA
Before I begin, please let me know if I should really move this post to the diseases section.

Last night one of our 11 week old girls, Johnny, got stuck in the rain. It was nearing dusk, the other 3 girls had gone into the coop and it was almost time for them to head up the ramp. Not for the first time, Johnny couldn't find the door. She's not the sharpest tool in the shed. Well, they all left her standing out in the rain until we saw her standing there looking sad indeed. My dh went out and put her in the coop, but 10 minutes later the others had gone to bed and she was still below. He went out and she let him pick her up (unusual, no fussing)and put her in the upper coop. I went to check on her 10 minutes later and she was all snuggled up between the others, she was quiet, not upset, and she was dry.

This morning my dh reports that when he opened the pop door she was reluctant to come down the ramp, practically fell off it when she did, did not immediately head for food like the others but just stood there. He said she looked like she'd had "too much rum". (that's what we get for naming her after Johnny Depp, aka Jack Sparrow)

For background info, she is a red star, 11 weeks old, never been sick. They have been living outside in the coop for 3 1/2 weeks. The coop has a sleeping area, fully enclosed, as well as a larger area that is on bare soft ground, wire for the walls and a solid roof to keep out the rain. (we are in Washington state) Every day I leave open the door so they can go into our backyard at will. They spend most of the day nibbling grass, weeds and whatever else they can find. I have seen them take bites out of some plants I suspect are foxglove, but they move on so frequently that they never eat more than a bite or two of any one thing at a time. They don't mind the rain, if it is a light rain they keep foraging, if it starts to get heavy they usually go to the covered enclosure.

Thank you for any help and advice you can give.

caf.gif

It almost sounds like it could be a vision problem. You mentioned that she sometimes can't find the door and that your hubby said she stumbled off the ramp like she was drunk. Perhaps she simply can't see the door and ramp well enough. She may not have fussed when your husband came up because she just couldn't see him so clearly anymore. Poor vision could also explain why she wouldn't go with the others to the food and water.

I hadn't thought of that. I'll keep an eye on her to see if I can tell about her vision. When I let them out to free range today, she poked around with the others but still never ate anything, so I isolated her and gave her a bowl of yogurt with oats (the others were most displeased to be left out). She seemed to perk up after that and when she returned to the yard she was eating grass again. She's now sunbathing with the rest, I'm still keeping watch.

I also discovered they had eaten some of the rhubarb leaf, which I know is bad, so I fenced that off.

Ah, rhubarb is a cathartic and could back her up. Have you seen her pooping? If she's pooping fine, the rhubarb isn't an issue for her, but if she's not pooping, that could effect her overall health.

Here's some information on toxic plants that may help you to determine if there is anything else that could be problematic for her:
Poultry Help toxic plant list
Poisonous Range Plants of Temperate North America from the Merck Veterinary Manual

Quote:
Well, maybe that was it then. I don't know if she was backed up earlier, but she had a really big wet one this morning. She seems much better now, I just put them in the enclosure for awhile and she ran for the feeder and was chowing down. I'll be keeping the rhubarb fenced from now on. Thank you!

81512_img_1905.jpg

This is Johnny, a few weeks ago. I need new pictures!

Quote:
Well, maybe that was it then. I don't know if she was backed up earlier, but she had a really big wet one this morning. She seems much better now, I just put them in the enclosure for awhile and she ran for the feeder and was chowing down. I'll be keeping the rhubarb fenced from now on. Thank you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/81512_img_1905.jpg

This is Johnny, a few weeks ago. I need new pictures!

Beautiful!! I hope Johnny continues to get better!!
ya.gif

Thank you for the list of plants not to eat. My girls have not been free ranging yet but in a couple of weeks they will be let out for a couple of hours a day when we can watch them.
Its good to know. I have some of the plants on the list so I will make sure there is a fence around them.

Back
Top Bottom