Gotta Intro the Washingtonian

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SilverCoug, Mar 7, 2015.

1. SilverCoug

SilverCoug New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    So I live in tiny little Roy, Washington and am entirely new to having chickens. I have two small children and I want to have a semi-sustaining home where I can grow my own veg/fruit and supply my own milk and eggs. I am not sure if I will be keeping chickens for dinner purposes or not yet... I have completed gathering the supplies to build my run and coop outdoors so decided it was time to get the chickens. I finally went with buying chicks to raise mainly because of my children. I want them to be a part of raising the chicks into laying hens so they will be entirely comfortable with handling the chickens and going out to retrieve the eggs eventually. I bought two chicks being sold as Buff Orpington and two being sold as Araucana. The Feed store told me they were between two and three weeks old. I have no idea how to age a chick so I am going with that... So far I have had them for one night and one whole day. They have been exactly as I expected. They sleep,cheep, and poo. I am currently searching for information on how old a chick needs to be before it can be taken outside. I am also curious about the difference between a rumpless and non-rumpless chicken.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally chicks stay in the brooder with heat lamp until they are fully feathered out - about 8 weeks old. If you lived in a nice warm climate, they could go out sooner. The difference is really one, has a tail and the rumpless do not.

3. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Cute chicks! They need to be at least 8 weeks to be living outside.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Chicks can begin taking short visits outside (just for fun) when they are a couple weeks old, if it is not cold. However, they shouldn't live outside until they are feathered in, usually around 6-8 weeks.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by