GQF sportsman vs Dickey incubators?

A google search on the two compared also brought me here.
woot.gif

Anyone that could tell me... Is this a bad incubator for a beginner to choose in incubation? I've read the guides on how to do it (still reading to refresh) but I'm reluctant to buy a small or small(ish) Brinsea or Rcom when I could use a cabinet for whatever number I want for me and hatch out for others for a fee (not sure how much to charge, though). I keep seesawing all over trying to decide. This just seemed more durable and long-lasting than a Brinsea or Rcom cabinet potentially.

Also, is it better to choose an incubator/hatcher combo, or separately? I definitely do not have the funds for a separate hatcher right now. Is the 3 tray with hatcher Dickey a combination incubator/hatcher? Just checking to make sure before I get really serious and possibly make a call... Nervous but excited!

ETA: Could he make it out of redwood on request? Has anyone ever done that?

Last edited:
If anyone is considering the purchase of an incubator he should find one with only wafer controls. Why? Because the digital readouts on temperatures and humidity will seldom be accurate and to replace the digital unit will cost you 2/3's the cost of a new incubator. If you are in this for the long haul, a digital incubator will not be.

I'm sure this is a dumb question but I want to ask anyway. How do you hatch and incubate in the same incubator if you need two different humidity levels? 
ww

Ideally you use a separate incubator as a hatcher. That being said many people don't have that option. In that case you raise the humidity for a few days while a hatch is going on and then reduce the humidity back to normal incubation levels once the hatch is complete. Most people who do this report few if any problems with the remaining eggs.

ww

Ideally you use a separate incubator as a hatcher. That being said many people don't have that option. In that case you raise the humidity for a few days while a hatch is going on and then reduce the humidity back to normal incubation levels once the hatch is complete. Most people who do this report few if any problems with the remaining eggs.

I see. Do you think people raise the RH to 65-70? or more like 55% ?

I have had a new Dickey running for about two weeks and I can't get the bottom tray temperature above 95' no matter what I do with the vents. The upper trays are 99.5-100 all the time. Any suggestions? Those of you who have Dickeys- have you put a thermometer in your hatching tray?

Back
Top Bottom