"Grab-Bag" Eggs hatching - Guesses as to Breed?

Yes, sex links are the product of a silver or barred hen and a non-silver or non-barred male, thus, the offspring do not breed true, so, the question does indeed remain to be "Did he breed Sexlinks or did he breed FOR sex links?" But regardless, the results will still be similar. You'll still have barred, black, or reddish chicks.
smile.png

Quote:
Illia - thank you for the details to clarify things. I just examined both of the darker chicks quite closely - in my hand, all over.

One definitely possesses what you refer to as a white smear going back to the neck.

The other chick, however, has no white whatsoever - either on the head or the neck. It may appear so in one or more of the photos, (I had to doublecheck from the pics to the chicks myself!) due to flash or the 'reflectix' background in the incubator/brooder, or the presence of some shiny inner eggshell residue still clinging to the chick's down...but absolutely no white at all - no smear, no pinprick on the forehead...

Perhaps they are not the same breed after all? I'll work on getting closer, clearer images to help things along...

Lightfoote

Quote:
88908_augusthatch_34.jpg

88908_augusthatch_35.jpg

88908_augusthatch_36.jpg

88908_augusthatch_37.jpg

I think these new photos may help make that more evident - if it is possible to distinguish between the two possibilities at this time. What's your opinion on the light-coloured chick pictured with the other two...White Jersey Giant, or Silver Laced Wyandotte?

Lightfoote

Back
Top Bottom