Granulated eggshells?

cluckable

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 15, 2014
Rozet, WY
I have one BSL that consistently lays eggs with patches of what appears to be granulated eggshell on the surface of an otherwise smooth and normal egg. The granules rub off easily in most cases and have the texture of course sand.

What causes this?

She has always produced very large eggs in this condition. This hen is a member of a flock of 17 mixed variety hens.

I have a red sex link girl that lays eggs like what you are describing. The narrow end always has rough little sandpaper-type bumps. I think they are tiny calcium deposits.

There's a great article about odd eggs at this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
The eggs my girl lays aren't as severe as the example given in the article (item #6) and since her eggs have always been this way, I haven't really been worried about it...seems normal for her.

Hope this helps!

I've been getting eggs form 3 of my 5 GC hens.. I just recently started getting a 4th egg a couple weeks ago.. Very small eggs with very small yolks. About 1 out of every 3 eggs this hen lays will be about twice the size of her small egg but will have 2 yolks the same as her small egg yolk. Today when I got the 4th egg this is what it looked like.. What would cause this?

Back
Top Bottom