Graphic don’t open of blood and gore upset you

Zarumley

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
Washington
Our beautiful yeti got herself into some trouble a week ago yesterday and the vet unfortunately is over an hour away and not working today. We were given instructions with meds silver cream and to keep her wrapped up and inside. Today they said we could undress and give her a rinse before bandaging up again. It looked really odd black and bulgy but intact until after her bath when it did this and I can’t get in touch with any vet and we don’t know what to do. It looks like the skin didn’t take and is now rotting? I just don’t know what to do any and all help is so appreciate thank you in advance

Attachments

• 869FA563-524B-42A5-8F37-BD2966500B55.jpeg
    869FA563-524B-42A5-8F37-BD2966500B55.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 17
Our beautiful yeti got herself into some trouble a week ago yesterday and the vet unfortunately is over an hour away and not working today. We were given instructions with meds silver cream and to keep her wrapped up and inside. Today they said we could undress and give her a rinse before bandaging up again. It looked really odd black and bulgy but intact until after her bath when it did this and I can’t get in touch with any vet and we don’t know what to do. It looks like the skin didn’t take and is now rotting? I just don’t know what to do any and all help is so appreciate thank you in advance

That looks like classic bumblefoot to me, complete with the round black plug (underneath) and the pus on (what was) the inside. I'd look up bumblefoot and see if she might benefit from having her foot wrapped. The main thing is to ensure the infection is all removed.

It appears via the soaking that you have done recently, you loosened the "plug", and it's fallen out on its own. Since the plug consists of caseous/necrotic material highly concentrated with bacteria, yeasts, and fungus, you'll want to peel off the remaining bit hanging onto her toe. I would then flush the area well with some saline, or a dilute antiseptic like chlorhexidine. After that, pack it with your silver sulfadiazine cream, wrap gauze around and bandage. Until your vet has a look at it, make sure to take the bandage off daily, and see how everything looks, and if needed reapply the ointment.

Back
Top Bottom