Graphic! Hen has big wound, tons of maggots, pooping yolk HELP

My hen has a big hole right below her vent. There was tons of maggots around and in it, I got most, if not all by putting her in the bath and letting them go down the drain. I noticed when she pooped yolk and blood came out. There is also this stuff on her feathers, I don't know what it is. Please help, I'm not sure what to do. I have no money for a vet and places that sell chicken friendly wound cleaner are closed. I have work until Sunday.
Clean and cut the feathers around her soak her in epsom salt and pick out the maggots. A rehabber I know uses capstar and apparently the maggots just fall off! I've never used it before but it's a lifesaver for the animals she works with.
My hen has a big hole right below her vent. There was tons of maggots around and in it, I got most, if not all by putting her in the bath and letting them go down the drain. I noticed when she pooped yolk and blood came out. There is also this stuff on her feathers, I don't know what it is. Please help, I'm not sure what to do. I have no money for a vet and places that sell chicken friendly wound cleaner are closed. I have work until Sunday.
Not sure if you can use it for chickens but I know a rehabber who uses Capstar for birds with flystrike. It is a lifesaver for those birds but I'd research alot about it with chickens. I would soak her in epsom salt pick them off wash her really good and keep doing that until they are off. Keep her inside. It can get worse very quickly so act fast and don't wait even an hour. Your very lucky you caught it early.

Clean and cut the feathers around her soak her in epsom salt and pick out the maggots. A rehabber I know uses capstar and apparently the maggots just fall off! I've never used it before but it's a lifesaver for the animals she works with.

Not sure if you can use it for chickens but I know a rehabber who uses Capstar for birds with flystrike. It is a lifesaver for those birds but I'd research alot about it with chickens. I would soak her in epsom salt pick them off wash her really good and keep doing that until they are off. Keep her inside. It can get worse very quickly so act fast and don't wait even an hour. Your very lucky you caught it early.
Thank you. And im at the vet, but I will be soaking her. I didn't know this was "early" still. I had no idea flies and maggots can do this that fast, terrifying stuff.

Maggots attack quick!.if you are in a place with alot of flies and you get a wound you could have thousands of maggots the next day. I've had rescue calls about ducks who have lost eyes and the next day the whole face is eaten. Maggots are nasty animals and if you spot ANY you need to act fast. Maggots are the worst predators in my opinion and they are sneaky.
I live in the South of Mississippi, tons and tons of flies

I hope things went well at the vet and that she’s on the up and up
I had to leave her there overnight, but the vet cleaned it and used stuff to get the maggots and eggs off. I'm glad to took her there, they said there were thousands and thousands of eggs. They aren't sure if she'll make it or not, I'm just hoping I don't get a call from them. I have to call them in the evening.

I had to leave her there overnight, but the vet cleaned it and used stuff to get the maggots and eggs off. I'm glad to took her there, they said there were thousands and thousands of eggs. They aren't sure if she'll make it or not, I'm just hoping I don't get a call from them. I have to call them in the evening.
I’m glad you have a vet that would see her and that you care enough to take her so late at night. I hope she makes it!

Back
Top Bottom