Graphic! Hen has big wound, tons of maggots, pooping yolk HELP

Ah, I’m so sorry. :hugs At least you did everything you could for her. As others have noted here, chickens are very good at hiding injuries and illness and I think most people who keep chickens have missed symptoms and lost a chicken because of it—I definitely have.

Are you considering getting more chickens to keep your remaining hen company?
I'm not sure about more yet, I am really worried about Matilda (my last hen). I would like her to have company. Should I get chicks or a full grown hen? How to I get another full grown hen and make them get along? I have too many questions.

I'm not sure about more yet, I am really worried about Matilda (my last hen). I would like her to have company. Should I get chicks or a full grown hen? How to I get another full grown hen and make them get along? I have too many questions.
I think it would be totally understandable to wait a little bit to see how you feel about getting more.

If you end up deciding that’s what you want to do, the easiest thing would probably be to buy some pullets or full grown hens on Craigslist and then do a ‘look but don’t touch’ introduction with Matilda for a few days.

I think it would be totally understandable to wait a little bit to see how you feel about getting more.

If you end up deciding that’s what you want to do, the easiest thing would probably be to buy some pullets or full grown hens on Craigslist and then do a ‘look but don’t touch’ introduction with Matilda for a few days.
One thing is with new hens brings new illnesses and what not, I read somewhere on here that it became a problem for someone.

One thing is with new hens brings new illnesses and what not, I read somewhere on here that it became a problem for someone.
That’s a great point. Technically you should quarantine new birds for at least two weeks, thirty days if you really want to be careful. In the past, I’ve introduced new birds to my flock without quarantining at all and it has turned out fine. But it’s a gamble.

I think, if I were in your position, I would take the chance on this one, since being alone can be stressful for chickens. But obviously ultimately that’s up to your own judgement.

It happens to a LOT of people, & brings much frustration and heartbreak since many chicken diseases leave them carriers for life. Meaning even if the chickens appear to have regained their health, they will still spread the disease to any new chicks or chickens you bring in.

Pullets nearing point of lay or older would be best since you have one older hen already, but if you go that route, be very careful and know that your source has a healthy, disease-free flock. Aquiring chickens from an unknown source is always very risky. Whether respiratory diseases or viruses such as Mareks, you will find many sad stories on these forums from people who unknowingly bought sick or disease-carrying chickens.

The safest route would be to buy day-old chicks from a feedstore or large hatchery, raise them yourself, then them introduce to your hen when they are feathered out. Safest, but probably not the most convenient. Very sad for your loss. I hope you find comfort in knowing you did everything you could.

Older hens and pullets can be a big fight sometimes. It depends on your hen. They may be the most kind lovable fluff butts you ever had but total A holes eating feathers right out of them to new flockmates, ESPECIALLY if the new ones are well... Teenagers.... Don't we wish we could do that to our teenagers :D But seriously, if you get one, get one thats egg laying already, ie mature, otherwise the break in period can be real challenging.

IF you care close to Jacksonville, I have a friend with chickens of all ages I could get you one.

Aaron

So can someone clarify please. Just being around the flies would attack? or do they have to be injured first or what? I see flies around mine fairly often, especially if I have them caged up for the day and they drop a nasty deuce or two in close quarters. Wow, this is shocking.
Aaron
They have to be injured or have a super moist or infected area first.

It happens to a LOT of people, & brings much frustration and heartbreak since many chicken diseases leave them carriers for life. Meaning even if the chickens appear to have regained their health, they will still spread the disease to any new chicks or chickens you bring in.

Pullets nearing point of lay or older would be best since you have one older hen already, but if you go that route, be very careful and know that your source has a healthy, disease-free flock. Aquiring chickens from an unknown source is always very risky. Whether respiratory diseases or viruses such as Mareks, you will find many sad stories on these forums from people who unknowingly bought sick or disease-carrying chickens.

The safest route would be to buy day-old chicks from a feedstore or large hatchery, raise them yourself, then them introduce to your hen when they are feathered out. Safest, but probably not the most convenient. Very sad for your loss. I hope you find comfort in knowing you did everything you could.
Do you think day old chicks would be the best way to go? I can take care of them. How would this affect my hen? Will she take on motherhood like that? How will this work with introduction?

Back
Top Bottom