Graphic photo - lost one of my girls yesterday

brezbyme

Songster
Jan 27, 2018
I lost a chicken yesterday, in the evening right by our deck. Our door is maybe 20 feet from where something came out from under the deck and tore her up. All the other chickens were close my. It was during the daylight and we had our small dogs in and out several times while the chickens were out. There was no head to be seen and her belly was laid open. What do you think got her? We are rural and have had raccoons and possums around. This happened pretty quick.

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 34
Hawks if hungry have no fear. Around here they are migrating now, and the young birds on their own are desperate. The scattered feathers, flesh removed from the neck, and fact that bones don't appear to have been eaten point towards a raptor for me. Whatever did this will be back. Can you keep your birds penned up for a while ?

I lost a chicken yesterday... What do you think got her?...

I am leaning towards a raptor.

Raptors stand in the middle of their victims bodies and first denude the living chicken and begin feeding where ever the Hawk or owl decides to. You can almost see that the mortal remains of you hen has been hollowed out in a bowl shape. Besides the feathers are arranged in a classic pattern of how a hawk or owl would pick a hen. Mammalian predators are not so dainty and they tend to tear their victims apart and then consume each part separately. However the hooked beak of a hawk is ideal for tearing small strips of flesh off of the hawks' victims. Therefor I will 2nd sourland's answer.

Thank you all! I did keep the chickens in their run today, although a few of them can fly out. They all made it through the day, though. I will do some more work on their run area to try to keep them in and hope the raptor moves on.

Iffin they can fly out....something could fly in.
Yes, I know. I let them out this evening for a bit. The three that get out all the time were already out. I made a couple of trips from the house to the coop and saw a hawk fly over to a tree in the field not too far away so I made the girls go back in.

Back
Top Bottom