*graphic pics* Chick pipped externally then died in shell

How big was this egg and was it laid by a pullet?

Incubating big pullet eggs can cause problems because there will be too much albumen left at the end of the incubation period and the chicks can and often will drown when pipping.
This chick looks very wet still, so this is what I assume happened.

Thank you for your input, LaFleche. You are absolutely right - the egg was a big pullet egg. The friend who lent me his incubator wanted me to incubate eggs from his chickens along with my shipped eggs. All the eggs he gave me were from pullets (bantam Brahma x Deutsches Buschhuhn) and all the blue and green shelled ones were really big compared with the brownrose shelled ones. The chick in this thread was in a bluegreen egg shell. From the 20 eggs I set for him 11 hatched (4 were not fertilized, two were perhaps fertilized and quit the first days - it was difficult to tell, one had a little embryo who unfortunately quit about perhaps 6th day, one had a small fully developed chick never hatching and perhaps unfortunately quitting around day 17, and the baby from this thread). This would have been the 12th chick.
Here is a picture from when I set his eggs:
RIMG1252.JPG

...Now you said it there are some really HUGE pullet eggs, I think looking at them.

Thank you for your input, LaFleche. You are absolutely right - the egg was a big pullet egg. The friend who lent me his incubator wanted me to incubate eggs from his chickens along with my shipped eggs. All the eggs he gave me were from pullets (bantam Brahma x Deutsches Buschhuhn) and all the blue and green shelled ones were really big compared with the brownrose shelled ones. The chick in this thread was in a bluegreen egg shell. From the 20 eggs I set for him 11 hatched (4 were not fertilized, two were perhaps fertilized and quit the first days - it was difficult to tell, one had a little embryo who unfortunately quit about perhaps 6th day, one had a small fully developed chick never hatching and perhaps unfortunately quitting around day 17, and the baby from this thread). This would have been the 12th chick.
Here is a picture from when I set his eggs:
View attachment 2673557

...Now you said it there are some really HUGE pullet eggs, I think looking at them.
Yes, pullets will lay huge eggs when their protein intake is too high leading to excessive amounts of albumen.

From what you describe, there might have been an additional underlying issue, for instance vitamin deficiency (worms!) in the parent birds.

For healthy chicks to hatch easily, it is important to only use eggs from hens at least one year old, better 2-4 year olds, as these eggs will have a much better yolk to albumen ratio. Only choose eggs from hens that proved to be robust and healthy, molt easily and are not prone to external and internal parasites.
Always deworm the flock at least 3-4 weeks before collecting hatching eggs, add vitamins to their drinking water and feed them some sprouted barley in addition to their usual feed. Watch out for any calcium deficiencies that might show up as thin egg shells etc.

Yeah to be honest I was a bit reluctant knowing all the eggs were from pullets. And I was a bit overwhelmed with the plus of responsibility also hatching eggs for someone else (it was my first time hatching chicken eggs) with my shipped eggs I already felt a huge amount of responsibility. He also came out of the blue with his eggs, when I asked him if he would lend me his incubator (which is a really awesome incubator and it is really extremely nice he trusted me with it) he didn't mention anything. Next time we met he said he was collecting eggs...he never asked if it was ok to me. But I never said anything because he lent me the incubator. And because I'm a newbie and he grew up on a farm and has chickens since childhood.
(...Worms could also definitely be an underlying cause...)

Well, in case he wonders about the low hatching rate of his eggs, you could just provide the information regarding pullet eggs and the effect of excessive albumen, worms in parent birds etc.
Maybe this is something he does not know despite growing up on a farm and the next time will show better results.

Well, in case he wonders about the low hatching rate of his eggs, you could just provide the information regarding pullet eggs and the effect of excessive albumen, worms in parent birds etc.
Maybe this is something he does not know despite growing up on a farm and the next time will show better results.
I know what you mean and it is a good point.
...He actually was very pleased with the hatch rate after wondering from the start if 'anything will hatch at all' (adding a young rooster very late - the pullets had been with his 10 years old bantam Brahma the whole time and he didn't think the 10 years old to be fertile anymore).
I got in some arguments with him about the raising of the chicks (he took them to bring them up), I still feel responsible for those dear little ones because I hatched them and I couldn't stand they didn't have - in my opinion - enough space from a certain point of growing. He eventually changed the conditions, now they do have plenty of space and a nice setup, but it is difficult to come against 'it has been always this way' 'everybody does it this way'.
I know one thing for sure - I will never hatch eggs for him again. If I ever will ask him to lend me his incubator again and he will only do it when he can add own eggs, I will either not incubate or buy an incubator myself.

Yeah, I fully agree (without having ever raised chicks with a broody😅).
I now do have my 12 bantam Silkies, they are 6 weeks old, so still not sure about boys and girls yet, but I think I have about 8 girls.
I'm sure the girls would be wonderful broodys. My mother is in love with bantam Orpingtons, so next year we will give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom