GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Pics
I did go ahead and purchase the Gelpi Retractor 3.5" - wow wish I'd had this when I did my first batch. It came with sharp points (should have ordered a blunted one for the same price) Which I had to file down. Again wow, the weitlaner which I used before required a little effort to push the teeth between the ribs before spreading. The gelpi can be layed directly on the cut with its "points" directly on top of the incision then gently pushed through and turned under the rib cage before opening- works like a dream!

I just tried to caponize two little cockerels. I utterly failed. :( Even though I checked the landmarks several times and tried to cut in between the last rib and the second to last, I ended up too far forward both times. I may just give up on this. :/

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't hit the right place either and thought I checked the landmarks well, but mine were already dead, I've been waiting to get together w/ poco before I did a live one.

Ohh crap same poor birds?? O well they are off to "freezer camp" no matter which way they go :(

You are better than me, I tried and failed once and said NOPE that is it for me.

Back
Top Bottom