GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Pics
There was a set made in the U.S. with what they called a Horse-hair Retractor. It was a metal tube with a horse hair loop that could be pulled tight from the top of the tube, and then manipulated to work as a saw. Low tech, but same tool. Horse hair is strong, flexible, and has a rough enough surface to cut through the membrane holding the testicle in place. The operator pulls the horse hair ends individually after the loop is around the testicle, which cuts through the membrane releasing the testicle. The pulling of the horse hair, first left, then right, then left... works like the Chinese wire tool.

With the tool above, you'd need a spoon under the testicle to keep it from disappearing into the intestines. The problem I see with this type of tool is the stress on the surrounding tissue. Instead of just cutting, you'll be pulling and tearing once you've worked the loop around the testicle. The testicle will be smashed against the end of the tool as the wire is pulled tight. If anyone makes/uses this type of retractor, I'd be interested to know if the testicle becomes torn as part of it gets pulled against the end of the metal tube.

W O W -- no wonder they took these down. No need to go to their seminar. Thanks for the link BCM. Definitely will try it again. eBay has the polyp removers for ~$10. Will just need to figure out how to shorten the 230cm (7'6") length -- I at least want to see the bird when I'm working on it
roll.png

I've seen the pics of the tools you have and the others -- gave me a few ideas. May end up making my own.
I downloaded that pdf file without any problems WW1, in case you are interested.

I figured the lack of the pictures in the translator had something to do with the Google translator itself. If you come up with something instrument-wise, we would all be interested in seeing it. I have thought about getting some coarse cotton thread and using it in the little tubes I made with the retractable 28 gauge jewelry wire. I just need to figure out how to keep it from pulling back through the tube so it doesn't have to be rethreaded each time......a work in progress for all of us.....

Last edited:
W O W -- no wonder they took these down. No need to go to their seminar. Thanks for the link BCM. Definitely will try it again. eBay has the polyp removers for ~$10. Will just need to figure out how to shorten the 230cm (7'6") length -- I at least want to see the bird when I'm working on it
roll.png

I've seen the pics of the tools you have and the others -- gave me a few ideas. May end up making my own.

I downloaded that pdf file without any problems WW1, in case you are interested.

I figured the lack of the pictures in the translator had something to do with the Google translator itself. If you come up with something instrument-wise, we would all be interested in seeing it. I have thought about getting some coarse cotton thread and using it in the little tubes I made with the retractable 28 gauge jewelry wire. I just need to figure out how to keep it from pulling back through the tube so it doesn't have to be rethreaded each time......a work in progress for all of us.....
I didn't get the pictures in English or the Spanish version. Maybe it has something to do with which web browser each or using? Don't know. I'll let you all know if something new should arise.

I caponized an older D'uccle rooster and a juvenile LF cochin this morning. I was not able to pull both testicles from the same side on the D'uccle rooster, but I was able to get both testicles from an incision in the right side of the cochin cockerel. They are both alert, eating and drinking normally, and acting like somebody ruined their morning.

All four testicles were removed with the wire tool. On the cochin, there appeared to be super thin membranes surrounding the testicles, so I used the pointy end of my probe, tore a little hole over the middle of the testicles, worked the membrane away from the front edge of the testicles, sort of like cutting a hole in a banana peel and then working the peel back to expose the fruit, and then I used the wire tool to loop around the testicles to lift them out.

These boys go home to their momma tomorrow. I hope they will settle down so that she can keep them.

Thanks to all for the very informative replies and successes!!

I have an old Pilling set. It has a metal tube that will either hold a horse hair or a high-note guitar string that is more flexible than craft wire. Has anyone tried using a guitar or violin string with either the Chinese tools or a tube-type tool? Note the little hole at the end of the string that is normally used to attach it to the guitar. Wonder if this would be helpful in manipulating the string?

Thanks to the posters above for the advice that craft wire is too stiff and fishing line too smooth.

Sure the horse hair wouldnt just break? I know it has a rough surface and is coarser than human hair.

Next time I change my guitar strings I'm saving the high ones! Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom