GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Delurking here to comment on latex vs. nitrile - repeated exposure to latex is known to cause latex sensitivity or allergy. I developed an anaphylaxis reaction to latex when I used latex gloves a few times a week over the course of 6 months to protect my hands while working with acrylic resin. I also developed reactions to several other plants in the same family as latex, none of which had been a problem previously. For the cost difference between nitrile and latex, it's really not worth the risk.

Anyway, back to lurking - I don't have any birds at the moment, but this is inspiration for when I do get them! :)

Delurking here to comment on latex vs. nitrile - repeated exposure to latex is known to cause latex sensitivity or allergy. I developed an anaphylaxis reaction to latex when I used latex gloves a few times a week over the course of 6 months to protect my hands while working with acrylic resin. I also developed reactions to several other plants in the same family as latex, none of which had been a problem previously. For the cost difference between nitrile and latex, it's really not worth the risk.

Anyway, back to lurking - I don't have any birds at the moment, but this is inspiration for when I do get them! :)
Thanks for posting.. you lurker you..( grin )
many folks have that .. I'm going to try and avoid that
I did get the nitrile.. they were right there with the others..

and update.. here at the working chick ranch.. there is peace and happy hen's again.. egg production up.. and I'm on to other things.
will post back on any slips.. and will join the lurkers.. to see who else is learning.

Hey AtlantaChick, I was researching the forum for 7 months before my babies came in 3 wks ago. I never shut up. So join in, we'd love to have you. Check out The Front Porch Swing on social page. Lots of fun going on there too.

Kassaundra I bought a bunch of oats to sprout. I'll do it double pronged with fermented feed. Maybe one for each meal. My babies are still stuck in the store house. When I went to feed this afternoon I left the door open so they could get afternoon sun. Never seen such flapping and sunbathing in my life. It's been so nasty and rainy that they don't really know what sun is. Soon, I'm going to get them out soon.
gig.gif
They are so healthy and happy. I do notice the one of the Golden Comets has an attitude. Must be the Alpha.

I've got 3 Dark Brahma cockerels that I started on Vit K water late tonight. They're 8 wks old but about the size of the 6 wk old Barred Rocks we did at Poco Pollo's caponizing clinic a month ago. I'm hoping they're not too old. Their surgery is Wednesday. Somehow all 5 Barred Rocks I did at Poco's lived through their surgery but I'm going to be doing it all alone this time without any back-up. I'm going to attempt to do the method where you "saw" the connecting tissue from the bird with string. I really believe that's the way to do it to avoid slips. I don't have a lot of faith in the "grab and pull" method. I've got to decide on what kind of restraints to use and a good table. I'm really really nervous about it. But I wanted these boys so bad and I certainly can't have any more roosters so in my mind there's no other option at this point.
So....wish me luck and wish the boys luck :)

I've got 3 Dark Brahma cockerels that I started on Vit K water late tonight. They're 8 wks old but about the size of the 6 wk old Barred Rocks we did at Poco Pollo's caponizing clinic a month ago. I'm hoping they're not too old. Their surgery is Wednesday. Somehow all 5 Barred Rocks I did at Poco's lived through their surgery but I'm going to be doing it all alone this time without any back-up. I'm going to attempt to do the method where you "saw" the connecting tissue from the bird with string. I really believe that's the way to do it to avoid slips. I don't have a lot of faith in the "grab and pull" method. I've got to decide on what kind of restraints to use and a good table. I'm really really nervous about it. But I wanted these boys so bad and I certainly can't have any more roosters so in my mind there's no other option at this point.
You've got a steady hand and a level head. You should do well on Wednesday.
hugs.gif

You will have to let us know how big he is and how he tastes.

I know what you mean about the yard ornament. The ones we have are gorgeous with those long glossy bluish green black feathers.

We lost him a little over a week ago in a fox attack. Lost 8 other birds that day, and the BA capon was dinged up pretty bad, so I went on and processed him. He was mostly just pretty feathers, about 7lb and just under one lb of that fat. He had loads of it in his rear and around his gizzard. Still translated to to 3 batches of delicious home fries and one divine crock of soup. He was about a year old, so I opted not to roast.

Needed the grow out pen, so I processed the BCMs that Hapless and I had fixed... going to try them as fryers this week. They were looking slippy, and sure enough, several had the round white regrowths in there. Need to master the thread tool next batch.

You'll do well. I have a couple to do probably next week. Should have done them this week, but Gary is having surgery so I didn't want to do it this week. I need to make descisions about who will be left in tact too.

We lost him a little over a week ago in a fox attack. Lost 8 other birds that day, and the BA capon was dinged up pretty bad, so I went on and processed him. He was mostly just pretty feathers, about 7lb and just under one lb of that fat. He had loads of it in his rear and around his gizzard. Still translated to to 3 batches of delicious home fries and one divine crock of soup. He was about a year old, so I opted not to roast.

Needed the grow out pen, so I processed the BCMs that Hapless and I had fixed... going to try them as fryers this week. They were looking slippy, and sure enough, several had the round white regrowths in there. Need to master the thread tool next batch.
That is horrible lost your hard work to a preditor.

Back
Top Bottom