GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I have six adult capons on bug patrol. One is a Rhode Island Red, two are cream legbars, and two are cream legbar sports (all white). Here's a photo of the Rhode Island Red. I caponized him when he was eight weeks old. He is gentle, does not molest the hens when they are out to free range, and he gets along well with our barn cats.
On these mature birds are you seeing much spur development? I have a capon going on 12 months. Like your bird pictured he has a very "neutral" looking head (almost no comb/minimal wattles). He has spur development -- probably 1/2 the length one would expect on a cock of this age. He has some really nice feathering but he's dark and his photos never come close. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. We love him and he'll probably hang around for the foreseeable future.

@ juanmmg54 - That's a nice tool kit!

Are you able to get both testes with one incision? Or do you make two incisions?

Eso es un kit de herramientas agradable!

¿Eres capaz de conseguir ambos testículos con una incisión? ¿O usted hace dos incisiones?
No. Tengo que hacer dos incisiones, rara vez consigo ver los testículos con una sola incisión.
He visto en las fotos, que situan a los pollos , en posición vertical, yo los tumbo sobre el costado a intervenir.
Me pregunto, si quizás es este el motivo por el cual , en las fotos, se ven los dos testículos juntos?.
No. I have to make two incisions, I rarely get to see the testicles with a single incision.

I have seen in the photos, which put the chickens upright.
I put them on the side to intervene.
I wonder if perhaps this is the reason why, in the photos, the two testicles are together ?.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

First shot shows the "neutral" head and I was able to capture some of the essence of his coloring

In the second shot he is side by side with a 10 month old Mohawk RR cockerel. I thought it shows nice width on both. You can also see the little hen that is his mother. The little hen with the orange neck in the background.

He is known as Percy to us. Not real passive as has been described for some capons. Not aggressive but does stand his ground especially when it comes to food. His mother is the dominant hen as well.

Last edited:
TO THOSE ATTENDING THIS MONTH'S CAPON CLINIC,
Please send me a PM with the following information:
1. How many people in your group? I need to plan for drinks, chairs, table space, plates, cups, etc.
2. How many people in your group are attending for capon instruction? I need to plan for work stations, headlamps, etc.
3. Are you bringing your own cockerels? If so, please PM your mailing address so that I can send you instructions and supplies for preparing your cockerels.
4. Are you using cockerels supplied by me? If so, just let me know. I want to be sure I prep enough birds for the 18th.

5. If you're driving a long distance, there are many new (and old) hotels in Muskogee, which is 30 miles east of Haskell, so do some online searching to check prices and availability.

Q. How much is it to attend?
A. It's forty for instruction, and we're doing a potluck lunch (I'm supplying the drinks and tableware).

Q. Do I have to bring my own cockerels?
A. No. I will prepare cockerels for those who do not wish to bring their own.

Q. If I bring my own cockerels, do they need any special preparation before clinic day?
A. Yes. They need to follow the fasting regimen, so contact Poco via PM.

Q. Can I come if I've already been to a clinic?
A. Yes. Please let Poco know you are coming. You may be asked to assist others if the group is large, and you need to bring your tools.

Q. If I'm a repeat clinic attender, do I have to pay?
A. No charge for instruction, but please bring something for the potluck lunch.

Two weeks until the clinic
wee.gif
If you've wanted to attend but couldn't in the past, now's your chance
yesss.gif

Hey everyone. I am ready for clinic and am wanting to bring some of my excess roos. I told Poco I had seven, but I am not so sure now! Anyone else have sex-changers in their flock
hmm.png
? So I thought I would get some second and third opinions. The chicks below are about 8 weeks.

This one I think may have changed sex on me last week. I was sure it was a roo, now not so sure.

This one I am pretty certain is a roo still!

Not sure on this one and it is quite shy. This is the only shot I could get.

Another one that I'm not to sure on.

Thought I'd throw in a pic of our special guy, Pip the 2nd (we lost Pip 1 and he had the same injury and time inside). He was scalped a few weeks back and spent some time in the house, now he is a spoiled brat and my Son's favorite. We don't want him to end up aggressive like his father.

Good news, everyone! Our package is in Chicago : )

October 9, 2014 , 2:23 am

Departed USPS Facility

CHICAGO, IL 60701

Your item departed our USPS facility in CHICAGO, IL 60701 on October 9, 2014 at 2:23 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

October 8, 2014 , 10:09 am

Arrived at USPS Facility

CHICAGO, IL 60701
October 8, 2014 , 5:36 am

Processed Through Sort Facility

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
October 3, 2014, 9:00 am

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

October 2, 2014 , 10:34 pm

Processed Through Sort Facility

GUANGZHOU EMS, CHINA
September 30, 2014 , 9:48 pm

Acceptance

CHINA

Good news, everyone! Our package is in Chicago : )
October 9, 2014 , 2:23 am [COLOR=2F6FA9]Departed USPS Facility CHICAGO, IL 60701

Your item departed our USPS facility in CHICAGO, IL 60701 on October 9, 2014 at 2:23 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

October 8, 2014 , 10:09 am Arrived at USPS Facility CHICAGO, IL 60701
October 8, 2014 , 5:36 am Processed Through Sort Facility ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
October 3, 2014, 9:00 am Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
October 2, 2014 , 10:34 pm Processed Through Sort Facility GUANGZHOU EMS, CHINA
September 30, 2014 , 9:48 pm Acceptance CHINA[/COLOR]
Awesome! I processed Bresse today. They look quite nice but can't wait to have Bresse Capons one day

Whoo hoo!! I gotta do something about these 5 roos getting louder every day!! Idk if we can make the clinic, 2 of my ayam cemani roos are going in for de-crowing surgery weekend after next (I am doing capons for the roos I don't want to breed with for meat).

I'm in CO, and byc member dretd is a vet in Ft. Collins, CO that does decrowing surgery is picking up my 2 ac roos and they come back home a week later, but I do have a haffie roo that I need to start to think about caponizing him pretty soon too. The decrowing surgery allows the roo to still mate and act like and look like a roo, but much much much quieter.

For those looking to keep a roo, that doesn't crow, there are several options. Each carries their own risks, I'm ok with that though.

Back
Top Bottom