Graphic pics sorry - Neighbor's dog got my chicken...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NotSuperWoman, Jan 16, 2012.

1. NotSuperWoman

NotSuperWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor
    My neighbor's dog got in our back yard and got one of my chickens. The chicken is still alive, and seems pretty alert. But the dog tore into the tail area, through the skin into the cavity. I don't know whether to put this one down or try to sew her up. Posting a pic in a sec.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. NotSuperWoman

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor
    [​IMG]

This is my GLW. She is sitting in this pic, but is standing and flapping her wings.

This is the affected area. The section between the back bone and the tail feathers.
    [​IMG]

This is the wound. Through the skin and into the cavity.
    [​IMG]

When she breathes you can see her lungs.

[​IMG]

Any advice... even if its put her out of her misery would be appreciated please. Thank you

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    OMG!!!!

The neighbors should pay for the vet bill. That is insane. If you can see her lungs she probably needs to be stitched up. I do hope she makes it!!!

5. NotSuperWoman

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor
    Goldie did not make it. She will be missed. And we will have to see how her hatch mate will fare with out her. They were both inseparatable.

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear this. I was going to suggest that you should just put her down, if it's serious enough that you can see her lungs. Poor baby.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sorry you lost her.

Imp

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    [​IMG]

What a horrible thing to go through. Do you have other hens that her friend can hang out with now that she is gone? Does your neighbor know what happened?

I am so sorry that you had to go through this, this is just horrible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by