Pics
I can’t count the juvies I’ve lost to ambitious rat snakes that kill and start to eat but can’t, so they try again. Record was 7 in one night. Most recent was 3 at once, including (of course) DD’s favorite pullet.
DD: omygosh whoa... im so sorry :( wellp im not doing all this for Raptor for snake snacks :/ yikes...

I can’t count the juvies I’ve lost to ambitious rat snakes that kill and start to eat but can’t, so they try again. Record was 7 in one night. Most recent was 3 at once, including (of course) DD’s favorite pullet.
That really sucks. :hugs
Here in Califonia, I think the only snakes big enough to eat chicks are gopher snakes, rattlesnakes, and maybe king snakes.

Edited to add:
Yeah, maybe the list of snakes is longer than I thought. :oops:
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/snakespics.html

So um day 26? Can't remember atm lol... Im a tad worried about Duchess getting infected, still cleaning daily with betadine/water so possibly it's just the honey leaving a yellow tint... Raptor's feathers are a hot mess but I'm so happy to see them coming back :)
20180616_105804.jpg
20180616_101221.jpg

Day 31! We've survived the month :) These girls both deserve a chicky spa/bath day, they have so much honey in their feathers xp but I'm waiting for maybe another week of healing. Raptor has been very rambunctious lately, so I rigged her a new home next to the main coop, and I'm hoping this will help with reintroducing her later...
IMG_2370.JPG
IMG_2371.JPG
IMG_2373.JPG

Day 31! We've survived the month :) These girls both deserve a chicky spa/bath day, they have so much honey in their feathers xp but I'm waiting for maybe another week of healing. Raptor has been very rambunctious lately, so I rigged her a new home next to the main coop, and I'm hoping this will help with reintroducing her later...View attachment 1438112View attachment 1438113 View attachment 1438114
That is so cool, Raptor is a true chicken mascot (don’t let the other hen get jealous). Honestly I would think there’s probably not much more that honey will do but it wouldn’t hurt haha. Be careful with ants/flies outside if they’re really sticky still, wouldn’t want to deal with flystrike or something after so much progress. I’m so glad they’re still kicking and anxious to be back with their flock though.

Back
Top Bottom