*graphic post mortem pic* Can anyone identify this?

Kitsune

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Manchester - England
I found this inside a hen I culled, it felt like a jelly filled sac but when I cut it open clear fluid that looked just like water and had no smell came out. it looks like there is a tube leading from it to the vent but there didn't seem to be an opening from the sac containing the water to the tube.

If I didn't know any better I'd say it was a chicken bladder! But they don't have bladders and in any case there was no ureters from the kidneys.

For orientation on the pic the vent is near my fingers, breast up at the top.

P1010018.jpg

is it on part of her reproductive tract? my understanding is that only 1 ovary really develops and the other atrophies 99% of the time,but sometimes a cyst forms or sometimes a fully functiioning ovary forms.That is my guess

That looks like a cyst. Your description of the fluid inside is consistent with cystic fluid. My guess would be a cystic ovary. Did you find a normal ovary?

Yes she did have a normal ovary, I didn't think about an ovary since it looks so different to a working one.

Thanks for all the replies, I feel a lot happier now I have some idea of what it was!

I did the necropsy because this hen was not looking/acting right, I had to cull one the week before and found a huge mass of tumours inside her, she had bad ascites too and I was worried this one was going the same way - I'm away for a week and didn't want to leave a problem in the hands of my mother who is ok feeding, watering and letting them in and out but that's about it!

I'm not sure I did the right thing as this cyst is the only anomoly I found - do these often grow to 'problem' proportions? Did I do the right thing to cull the hen?

She's a rescued ex battery hen and they can be very prone to problems, it's always hard to judge what to do when they have do...

http://www.exoticpetvet.com/breeds/lecturereprofemale.htm
(excerpt)
"...Cystic
Ova

This is when an ovarian follicle becomes grossly enlarged and filled with fluid. Ovarian tumors and cystic hyperplasia can occur secondarily. The cause of cystic ova is not fully understood. In affected birds, difficulty breathing, altered movement, and abdominal distension are found. Cysts can rupture easily, sometimes flooding into the airsacs. I often treat these with Lupron. I do occasionally pull fluid out of the cysts to give the hen breathing space. Occasionally, I have surgically removed them. ..."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom