graphic slaughtering question

Clucky charms.
It was brave of you to watch the video.
If you want to be able to keep buying meat from the store ,Dont
watch anything about commercial chicken industry. I'm serious.
Knowing about the commercial meat industry is what made me
try raising my own. So far, I have neen able to manage it.
If I lose the stomach for it, next step is vegetarianism. :)

Last edited:
I'm not going to try to convince you to grow your own. I really, really don't like processing my chickens. The killing is the worst part (even when it IS a nasty one who attacks very small children) but the processing isn't fun either. However, the meat is very, very good, I know how it was raised and treated. Most importantly, though, I know way too much about the commercial meat industry to want to buy more packaged chicken any more often than I have to.

x2 It is hard and I completely understand why you would decide it is not for you. There was a time when I thought I would never be able to do it. I told my fiance before the first one that this was either going to make me a vegetarian or a farmer, so be prepared. Farmer it is.

It was hard but I have come to feel a sort of zen about it in a weird way - that if I am going to be taking lives by eating meat then there is something respectful about doing it myself and insuring a good life and a good death. Then, also the health factor. But, I also name my chickens and go talk to them everyday so it is also sad.

x2 It is hard and I completely understand why you would decide it is not for you. There was a time when I thought I would never be able to do it. I told my fiance before the first one that this was either going to make me a vegetarian or a farmer, so be prepared. Farmer it is.

That is exactly what my husband and I are thinking right now. Farming is either going to show us what animals we are willing to kill and eat or we will become vegetarians. As it stands, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be willing to butcher a cow, so it is looking like ostriches, chickens, and fish for us meat wise.

That is exactly what my husband and I are thinking right now. Farming is either going to show us what animals we are willing to kill and eat or we will become vegetarians. As it stands, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be willing to butcher a cow, so it is looking like ostriches, chickens, and fish for us meat wise.

I sort of wish everyone had the opportunity to process an animal once. I think it is a very interesting experience that makes you stop and think about the things you are eating from beginning to end. I did my first chicken this year but I am hoping that someday I will have the space for cows and turkeys as well. Overall it has made me want to limit the amount of commercial meat that I buy.

It also really does taste good.

My granny always did it old school...pick up the chicken...pet it a minute to relax it...then grab it by the head...give a violent whipping action to crack the neck and then spun it around and around till the body let loose. Eh...I prefer a hatchet!

Back
Top Bottom