Grass and greens

Quote:
Love that!! I've been trying to figure out what to do to make my
chick's brooder more entertaining. My big girls grab everything immediately, so I don't have to worry about spoiling. The little guys however, are still learning. This is a great idea-I won't have to worry about it spoiling too fast. I can continue this when they all move outdoors too.
thumbsup.gif

I grow pumpkins and squash. I cut hem in quarters and throw them in the rum in the winter. they keep well and the chickens love them. cucumbers and zuc they love these also and very plentiful in the garden.

Much easier than leaving bags of it on people's porch, ringing the doorbell and running away! LOL

I actually had some shredded zucchini in the freezer from last year. I thawed it out and put it in the duck's water. They totally scarfed it up!

Quote:
Love that!! I've been trying to figure out what to do to make my
chick's brooder more entertaining. My big girls grab everything immediately, so I don't have to worry about spoiling. The little guys however, are still learning. This is a great idea-I won't have to worry about it spoiling too fast. I can continue this when they all move outdoors too.
thumbsup.gif

And the whole jumping thing gives them exercise, which like with people, is a good thing for chickens.

For now, until my "teenager" pullets are big enough (and not fun toys for my 3 cats), I've been giving kitchen scraps and pulling a TON of garden weeds and grass to throw in the run. I've also put grass clippings in when I've let the grass get a bit long, and I've occassionally cut or pulled clover from the side of the road (I live in the country). I've thought of some type of nice vine, like morning glory or something similar, for shading the run, not necessarily for extra greens.

Gwen

Quote:
Someting to consider for this is Malabar or New Zealand Spinach. Neither are much affected by pests, they are good in warm climates and tolerate dry conditions well enough - and they are good for people to eat, too!

Back
Top Bottom