grass clippings as bedding??? anyone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sore Thumb Suburbanite, May 21, 2011.

1. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I'm interested if anybody uses their lawn grass clippings as bedding for their birds... I mixed some in with the hay today and was curious if it was a good idea. The lawn hasn't been fertalized or anything, we just mowed and tossed some clippings into the coop bedding material.

2. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I use it for my young birds. I let it dry out like hay first. I also give the birds grit when I put in grass because some of them like to eat it.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If they will eat it (I give grass clippings as some of their food every day) I would recommend cutting it to at most 2-3 inches. This is because if too long it can ball up in the crop, causing impacted crop.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Yes, if it sucks up in the lawnmower, or rakes up, it goes into the chicken coop and/or run. See my BYC page.

5. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    We mowed the lawn yesterday, and I did mix some clippings in with their pine shavings in the run. The ladies loved it!

6. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Yeah i don't put it in the bedding though since they tend to use the nest boxes as a bathroom and i wouldn't want them to get sick,after the lawn is mowed i rake it up and put it in a barrel and just dump it into the yard for them after we have raked the yard clean of all the waste to the sides of the walls to make sure they don't eat the grass along with the waste from them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by