Grass for the Chicken Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Simeo, Jan 22, 2013.

1. KellyReed

KellyReed In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2018
    That’s a very nice run! How many chickens do you have in it?

2. KellyReed

KellyReed In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2018
    9175F97D-430B-43D9-B5F7-3BAF41F122BC.jpeg A840BF9A-A98C-483A-829E-E9F8AB41CA9E.jpeg I have 3 Silkies and I live in Louisiana. It gets pretty warm so I chose to build my run in the shade but of course that means not much grass, more dirt. It rains a bit and I’m concerned about mud. Should I use Hay or straw in the run? They will be able to free range in the fenced yard several times a week and their coop is very weather resistant but I’m concerned about the lack of grass in the run making mud and we all know mud and Silkies don’t mix... any suggestions?

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Crowing

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Our run is underneath a large red oak tree. -great shade in the summer, and mud if there are periods of rain. We fill the run with coastal hay during cold/rain periods. The chickens love it, and it keeps them from getting muddy. We rake it out and compost it after the weather clears.

4. 5 years since they posted that, and they haven't logged in since April of this year. Just a heads up in case you never see a reply from them.

KellyReed likes this.
  5. paintedChix

paintedChix Songster

Dec 15, 2013
    NC
    DLM, DLM, DLM... shredded paper/cardboard (can fly around in wind, get scratched out by chix), pine straw, straw, hay, leaves, grass clippings, weeds, garden leftovers, kitchen scraps etc.

Does that run move? If meant to be permanent, you can place at least small red bricks under it and can then layer in enough DLM to keep the silkies out of the mud. If wanted deeper, can do cinder blocks under it. If crafty/creative, can even create your own bricks with a combo of Quikrete & shredded paper - light weight for moving, stretches the Quikrete for less $; can be colored &/or decorated. I haven't tried them yet for bricks around/under a chicken run, but should hold up well, I would think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: