grass in run

graggy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
I have 5 buff orpingtons that I am raising in a large box in my garage. They are 6 weeks old now and starting to look like I can put them in the coop I made. I have a run attatched to the coop that is about 25 feet long. It was built right on the grass in my back yard. I built it about 8 weeks ago. Now the grass in the run is about a foot high. Can I just put the chickens in the run with the grass that high or should I cut it down before I put them in? thanks

I would cut it down just a little and rake it up, you won't have to do it again that's for sure LOL.

AL

You may have grass in your run at the moment but in four or five days you'll have a bare spot and when it rains you'll have mud. Mud, mud, and more mud. When that happens get yourself a load of course creek sand (really cheap stuff) and lay in about three inches or so in your run. Your Gals will appreciate it and you'll appreciate it because it keeps down the smell and flies. Plus, if you turn it in about once a week you can take some out and put on your garden next spring and replenish what you take with fresh sand. But believe me, if you have grass now and if you put chickens on it you'll not have grass in a very short time.

Dont waste your time mowing it, the chickens will do it for you :)

Oh, and some people say that long strands of grass can get caught in thei throat. In my experience, they pull at the grass and it breaks off in small enough chunks for them to eat. My chooks have walked around in grass higher than their head and had no trouble at all (grass didnt last long though)

Back
Top Bottom