Gray mass in egg

avonlea18

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2022
One of our chickens is laying somewhat weirdly shaped eggs. That has happened in the past with no issues. However, in the past several days, we've found two issues in those specific eggs. I didn't see the one (my son threw it out before showing it to me) but it was described as a worm (he later told me it was red, though, so I'm really curious as to what it actually looked like). The one I found this morning I would have described as a small grayish mass (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch diameter). The shell, the "whites," and the yolk were all normal looking, and there were no weird smells.

We've had chickens for several years now and have never seen this issue before. I tried searching several places and have not seen this particular problem mentioned. The chickens recently molted if that has anything to do with this. I'd love to know if anyone has an ideas what it could be.

It could be a meat spot.
If you find it again get a picture.
After I threw it out, I knew I should have taken a picture 🤦‍♀️ I've read about the meat spots but haven't seen any pictures posted to compare it. My thought reading the other posts was that this was larger than a meat spot, but I don't know. Thanks for the response :)

Last edited:
After I threw it out, I knew I should have taken a picture 🤦‍♀️ I've read about the meat spots but haven't seen any pictures posted to compare it. My thought reading the other posts was that this was larger than a meat spot, but I don't know. Thanks for the response :)
It is hard to know without pictures, but I'm guessing it was a meat spot.

Back
Top Bottom