Grazing?

jasonw

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Do to the responses of my lasts question I decided not to take the chance of my chickens getting out so I built a movable coup out of all 2X2 galvanized wire. It is a circle about 4' in diameter and today I put my 4 Bantam's in it. They are doing a great job taking care of my weeds and I figured I would just slide it over when it is bare dirt and have free weed removal. My question is with all these weeds available for them to eat should I still give them feed? Should I at least offer them feed every day? Or will the steady flow of weeds be enough food for them? I covered the top of the mobile coup to take care of the relentless sun we have here as well as put a waterer in with them, is there anything ells I missed? I don't have a spot for them to get up off the ground yet but its in the plan.

God has grown healthy chickens for years. But now we have blended feed made to supply all nutrition needed. I think still offer feed so they will be sure to get a better balanced diet. I'm sure you will get different opinions and mine is only one. When it comes down to it, it will be your decision as to what's best for your situation. Good Luck

Thanks. I a very new to keeping chickens and worry they don't get enough food but there is always left over feed so I guess that's enough. I will still offer them food but hopefully they wont fill up on feed as its nice having the free weed removal and I have found it very enjoyable to sit and watch them graze around the yard.

Hi,I also built a mobil pen for my chicks and like you have many weeds and tall grass but one thing I try to identify all plants and make sure they are not toxic to the birds before moving them to a new area because I know some things like nightshade and milkweed can poison some animals.

welcome-byc.gif
from Cape Cod, MA!!
I would still offer regular feed as well - it will give them a balanced diet! JMO. Good luck and welcome aboard.

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom