Great Article about Guinea Fowl

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TarheelBirdy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I was doing some Google-searching about supplemental light and if it affects egg-laying with Guineas like it does chickens. I found a good article about Guineas and thought I'd share. Pretty basic and general info, but what I found interesting was one particular comment, "Guinea hens will lay eggs year-round if they have supplemental light when the daylength shortens." I might try it starting this Fall and find out. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge about this?

http://www.mofga.org/Publications/M...r/Fall2010/GuineaFowl/tabid/1730/Default.aspx

2. lisa760

lisa760 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    This was interesting! Thanks for pointing it out!

3. lillydaisy

lillydaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    Cool[​IMG]

4. lillydaisy

Feb 2, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    My Mum and I have 2 Belgian d'Uccles, 3 New Hamshires, 2 Pecan Bantams, 2 Barred Plymoth Rocks, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Sikies, 2 Hamburgs, 2 Astralorps, 2 Unknown Breeds, 5 Guinea Fowl, 1 Horse, 1 Pony and 1 Cavaleia King Charles Spanial!

5. TarheelBirdy

I have a Cavalier as well! And horses, too, along with my guineas and chickens.

6. lillydaisy

Feb 2, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    How old is your cavalier? ours is 8-9[​IMG] Her name is Lilly and she has Heart Murmur[​IMG] It is common in old Cavies:)

7. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Nice article. Thanks! I don't extend the laying period for my chickens or guineas. I let them lay naturally, when they want to, but I've heard from more than one person that extending the light period works.

My guineas are about six months old now and I haven't gotten a single egg out of my hens yet. Every day I open the coop hoping for one, but nothing yet.

8. TarheelBirdy

He just turned 6. Sorry to hear about her heart murmur. When did she get it, and how did you find out?

Aren't they the sweetest dogs ever?

Here is Helmsley:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by