Great Bernese mix dog... anyone have these with poultry?

That might explain the prey drive and increased energy. Although it should’ve also increased obedience hah she’s still young yet though. She might mellow out with age.
I kept hoping but she's more energetic now than a few months ago. She blew a ton of her coat and looked horrible this summer - it came back in thinner and yellowish, My last Pyr's coat stayed pretty consistent but she constantly was shedding. It just seems like a different type of dog. Behavior is similar in some ways - like stubborn - but combining that with high energy and prey drive is not a great combo IMO.

I kept hoping but she's more energetic now than a few months ago. She blew a ton of her coat and looked horrible this summer - it came back in thinner and yellowish, My last Pyr's coat stayed pretty consistent but she constantly was shedding. It just seems like a different type of dog. Behavior is similar in some ways - like stubborn - but combining that with high energy and prey drive is not a great combo IMO.
Yeah that makes sense! And puppies go through different phases so makes sense she’d get more energetic first. Dogs don’t typically calm down till 2-3 years old at least. Sometimes longer for large breeds.

Anything part -oodle is going to be a ruthless animal killer. I wouldn't attempt it personally
Just gotta say no - I have a labradoodle and she’s amazing with the chickens, minimal training. Only thought about going after them twice. I corrected her, she never tried again. And she and the chooks free ranged together for 2 years.

I have a Bernese x Golden Retriever pup. He is at the chasing excitedly phase. But he’s only playing- I can tell he just wants to play with them. He’ll grow up good, he’s a smart dog.

Just gotta say no - I have a labradoodle and she’s amazing with the chickens, minimal training. Only thought about going after them twice. I corrected her, she never tried again. And she and the chooks free ranged together for 2 years.

I have a Bernese x Golden Retriever pup. He is at the chasing excitedly phase. But he’s only playing- I can tell he just wants to play with them. He’ll grow up good, he’s a smart dog.
Interesting. The lab in your mixed breed must have balanced out with the poodle. Labs are famously well-behaved

So... I got an unregistered Great Pyrenees for cheap and she doesn't look quite like my other Pyr. Totally different personality too - she kills/eats chickens, jumps on us and knocks us down every time we approach, chases and trees cats, even chases my 6 year old son to the point he won't go in the yard to play. She has a fenced 2 acre property with an invisible fence too. I had to put her on a runner... no choice! Spent 3 months doing lots of training with chickens and giving her more attention and now she's 15 months old.. but hasn't changed. Her first time unsupervised near chickens for a few minutes she circled the run at high speed and terrified the birds. I corrected her but within minutes she succeeded in desecrating my best new dark and blue layers despite the coop being closed. She thrashed around with them in her mouth and refused to stop until they were nearly dead. I have not had success training this dog to do ANYTHING. She might sit if I have a T Bone steak in my hand but she might not. No amount of time running loose will wear this dog out. It is not normal for a Pyrenees to act this way! I had a Pyrenees for 12 years who was a gentle and vigilant protector of all small animals and people. I guess the backstory is that this new dog got loose at 5 months old and killed and ate chickens that belonged to our neighbor. I thought I could correct her but her predator drive is way too high. Bummed to re home her but it has to be done.

We have way too much wildlife to have chickens without a dog working the property. I found someone who has raised Great Pyrenees dogs for sheep for over 45 years but they have recently lost their male and only have Great Bernese mixed pups. I'm thinking this sounds like a good idea but not sure. Thoughts?

Thanks all. :)
update - she was just about to go into heat when she made 2 kills. I gave her a chance and she's doing better. Lots of people out there who have re homed chicken killers and the pyrenees change at 2 yers old. She's on probation but still with us.

Anything part -oodle is going to be a ruthless animal killer. I wouldn't attempt it personally
I have a beagle/poodle mix that is 100% chicken safe and an eggcelent guardian for them. The biggest problem we have is her scarfing down any kitchen scraps or extra food we put out for the chickens. She ate a bug once, does that qualify her as a ruthless animal killer? Maybe because I don't call her a "doodle" the murder gene skipped her? 🤔

Poodles are not murderers at all and to say they are or that anything mixed with them is is ridiculous. They are incredibly smart and CAN be taught. Just like any dog. They’re no more ruthless than a Lab. Sure, they can have prey drive but they CAN be taught that poultry is OFF LIMITS. And it’s not that hard.

Back
Top Bottom