great deal on pullets but what about the breed?

L*A*G*

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
planet chicken
I have some Q's on buff orps.
here r some good healthy really good deal on some pullets http://atlanta.craigslist.org/grd/1079905929.html
I
need a breed that will be good for laying eggs to eat.
R buff orps good for laying eggs?
I don't want to wait until next spring to be getting eggs.
how old r orps when they start laying?
I don't want a beat up looking bird.
will my RIR rooster beat up the orps cuz they r golden?

Thank you for replys.

My buff orps are daily layers of large brown eggs. I can't imagine why your rooster would beat them up because of their color. I happen to have a buff orp roo, but he treats the white (brahma) and black (austrolorpe) hens the same as he treats his fellow buff orp hens!
smile.png

Friendly birds, easy to care for. One of my buff orps went broody last fall (at 9 months old) so that stopped her production for a few weeks. They all layed between 17 and 20 weeks.

Hope that helps!
lori

The only time I've had birds pay attention to colour is when they have been raised with ONLY birds who are all the same colour, and then it is the hens who are more likely to beat up on the "interloper."

I love my BO girls! They started at around 19 or 20 weeks and have laid daily since. I have a RIR rooster and they seem to be his favorites.

I look at that chart everytime i buy a chicken but it looks like to me that the "chart" is saying orps only lay 3 eggs a week or something so i asked here for who really had orps.

My orps lay daily. They started at about 24 weeks (in February!) My White Rocks started at 18- same conditions. RIR roosters beat up all girls if they do not have enough girls to choose from. It has nothing to do with color. The orps are friendly and really pretty to look at. They eat less than the RIRs I have had.

Back
Top Bottom