Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't investing in the market so much as it was speculating in the market. The bubble burst and people saw everything disappear in a few hours of trading. Investors are in the market for the long haul. Speculators are in it for the fast turn over.

10 people doesn't make, or break a bank.

If everyone goes to the store today to stock up on toilet paper, then word would soon get out that the stores where running out of toilet paper.

Read just the other day on-line that there is 85 people in the world that owns over half the worlds wealth,,if 10 of these 85 people all took money out of the same bank,I DO BELIEVE there would be problems with that bank,,,,,,,,or am I terrbily wrong in this assumption??

Hemet your hilarious,,,keep it up please?? Nielson ratings in for the O'Slama State of the Union address,,4.2 % compared to Duck Dynasty rerun at 17.2%,,seems the taxpayers has lost interest in a President that forces his policies on the American people,and outrighlty states "There will be no negotiations",,,so much for debating and making concessions for everyone that is effected,it's O'Slama's way or the hiway.

All investors are speculators.

This is another great,well thought out comment,,I'm sure investing in a CD with gauranteed interest for the length of time you decide to keep that money in a Certificate of Deposit is also "speculation"? Or perhaps those whom have that amount of cash to commit to rolling into a lump sum Certificate of Deposit does not classify me or other people as an "Investor"?
Please once again draw it out for me?
If I have available cash to make a $10,000 Certificate of Deposit,,and choose to allow a bank to use my money,and because of this I am guaranteed a certain rate of return,,how is this speculation? Simple math shows $1400 per year interest will be paid to me for as long as I agree to the length of the contract.

This is another great,well thought out comment,,I'm sure investing in a CD with gauranteed interest for the length of time you decide to keep that money in a Certificate of Deposit is also "speculation"? Or perhaps those whom have that amount of cash to commit to rolling into a lump sum Certificate of Deposit does not classify me or other people as an "Investor"?
Please once again draw it out for me?
If I have available cash to make a $10,000 Certificate of Deposit,,and choose to allow a bank to use my money,and because of this I am guaranteed a certain rate of return,,how is this speculation? Simple math shows $1400 per year interest will be paid to me for as long as I agree to the length of the contract.

Actually tbh I never thought of CD's as being an investment. I always thought they were more like a savings account. Not saying they are not an investment because that is in fact what they are. I am just saying I never thought of them as such. I always though investors as being involved in stocks and commodities... or worse... futures. In which case I would say Hemet is correct in saying all investors are speculators. But now that you bring up CDs and Bonds... Perphaps simply bring up CDs and Bonds in a less defensive manner would help keep this an intelligent conversation instead of a pissing match. I am guilty of this myself!

I am amazed you can earn such interest! Here the interest rates are very low, only about 3%. I wonder if this rate of interest is sustainable?

Well, as some of you predicted earlier in the threads, hubby's unemployment stopped because Congress is undecided to continue with unemployment benefits. Jobs are out there but lacks skills or experience is causing a rift for the people in town. (Decatur, IL....number one city in the USA with highest unemployment). Talks of CAT going to lay off some more. CAT employees do not believe that CAT will pull out or do a "sweep" of their employees going out the door. Ham radio bandwaves informed us that CAT is building factories in Thailand and sending USA built tractors over there to be completed. Funny a few employees there said, trucks are built but no orders coming in like the corporation said in Jan when they "won" bid from Australia to produce more trucks/tractors for them. More layoffs predicted in March and employees said it won't happen. It has happened before last year and the year before that when my hubby got laid off. It will happen, it is a matter of time, people in this town is getting restless, with high unemployment, lack of jobs to "fit" the employees (meaning blue color jobs for white color employees, no skills, qualifications). Sure you can go back to college, in the hopes of landing a job you studied for (according IDES), and once you graduated, there ARE no jobs available or employers have been really really picky.

Hubby is frustrated, angry and depressed about the job outlook, kept saying we WILL be heading for the Depression. I remain optimist, what goes down must come up tactic. He has been looking in the past year and three months, thru all the temp services, same response, week after week "sorry, we don't have anything for you but please do come back next week, we might have something for you" or " we will take names" or "we will call you"........nada, and he makes the point to keep checking back. Employment office clerks told all the people coming in waves last month, UI benefits cut off and IDES sign in website got some bugs going on, informed all of them there ARE jobs out there, you are not trying hard enough, and if you don't keep up with your temp services, you will be denied of your UI benefits if and when you get them. We do not have ANY information when or where or how you will get your UI benefits but you STILL have to recertify again and again weekly. There will be NO backpay for "waiting" for your UI benefits.

Sucks! We went to Public Aid office last week. This month, we will only live on my ssd benefits of a meager 910 dollars a month..... glad I stock piled some groceries last month but it won't last long. My SSD will only cover so much of most of our bills but not for food, feed or gasoline for work/doctor's trips or my RX. My Medicare RX has been denied that I must pay for ALL of my meds out of pocket and pay it in cash to keep the costs low as possible.

Brace yourselves, Decatur folks, it is going to be a very bumpy ride when CAT downsize even more, ADM headquarters moving upstate and who knows what else will happen in this town. Our town is so full of "service" employers....restuarants, fast food, grocery stores, hospital/doctors office, retail stores but no manufactering, State Farm, automotive factories and two factories still remaining so far are Staley and ADM.

**** it, we NEED jobs, MORE jobs and get our stablity in the economy back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom