Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, many people really want to work, but there are no jobs to be had. Government and unions have destroyed our industrial base. Then government (tax payers) have to support the unemployed, but it does not provide employment. Indolence is an easily acquired skill. Eventually, the system will break down. Then we will see a big problem.

Hoover Dam was built in three years. Now, it will take twelve years to string an electric line from wind farms in the Texas Panhandle down to the Dallas Fort Worth area. The only difference is government and unions. Most of the hold up is government permits and labor contracts.

Protecting endangered species sounded good, but the law allows obstructionist to hold up everything. We will probably never see the Keystone Pipeline built, but we will see lawyers getting rich off of the law suits.

We need to take another look at that law. It is natural that some species go extinct; nature evolves and provides flora and fauna appropriate for the ecological niche. If it didn't, we would be up to our neck in dinosaurs.

We need to repeal the Endangered Species Act.

I cannot agree with you on this. Revise perhaps but not repeal. Some people would chop down the last coconut tree and then wonder why they are starving. This really happened on Easter Island and resulted in 15 years of cannibalism until a European ship showed up with pigs. More effective than a "No-Don't-Touch-That" policy would be a comprehensive plan involving balance between our needs (not wants) and the value of their own continued existence. I currently am unemployed and not drawing any money except my Disabled Vet check. I want to earn money again but I am handicapped by the fact that my cars are dead and I don' have the money to fix them. I had breast cancer 4 years ago and my husband had a heart attack the same year. We have managed to hold onto our land by going through saving, 401Ks and pensions. I am an odd duck by some standards. I believe in ecology AND the right to bear arms. I believe in hunting for food. Hunting for trophies and wasting the meat is sinful in my mind. And I do mean that Religiously. I feel that it is an offense to God's creation just to kill for the sake of killing. And yet on the other hand if someone were to threaten me or my family I would pull the trigger and probably laugh at them for challenging my right to walk this earth. Be careful how you pigeon hole people. I have from time to time drawn food stamps in order to get through some rough times. The problem with the program is that it is harder to get off of the food stamps than stay on them. The moment that they learn that you have a job they want to cut your stamps. Regardless that it may be 2 to 3 weeks before you see any money from the job. So the only way to effectively manage to get off of the stamps and you must lie by omission and not tell them for 3 weeks that you have a job until you can actually get paid. The system doesn't reward you for getting off the government dole. Instead it slaps you in the face. It takes a strong desire to be your own person to make the transition.

The problem is that government and unions are so hostile to business and industry that they have killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. We need real jobs, not make work. When the question of some insignificant vole or roach can stop development and cause massive unemployment, the nation is crippled. We need to be real about this. We need to be producing and selling things.

Environmentalist and obstructionist oppose just about everything.

Sure, the nation needs a social safety net, but soon it becomes a hammock. There needs to be a return to productivity. Make work jobs won't do the trick. The economy is never going to heal itself. Those jobs that went overseas will never come back until there is a change in attitude.

OK, getting too serious here..........

~~The Creation Story
In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and populated the Earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow and red vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.

Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Krispy Creme Donuts. And Satan said, "You want chocolate with that?" And Man said, "Yes!" and Woman said, "and as long as you're at it, add some sprinkles." And they gained 10 pounds. And Satan smiled.

And God created the healthful yogurt that Woman might keep the figure that Man found so fair. And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat, and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from size 6 to size 14.

So God said, "Try my fresh green salad." And Satan presented Thousand-Island Dressing, buttery croutons and garlic toast on the side. And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them." And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter. And Man gained more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof.

God then created a light, fluffy white cake, named it "Angel Food Cake," and said, "It is good." Satan then created chocolate cake and named it "Devil's Food."

God then brought forth running shoes so that His children might lose those extra pounds. And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering blue light and gained pounds.

Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and brimming with nutrition. And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the starchy center into chips and deep-fried them. And Man gained pounds.

God then gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite. And Satan created McDonald's and its 99-cent double cheeseburger Then said, "You want fries with that?" And Man replied, "Yes! And super size them!" And Satan said, "It is good."

And Man went into cardiac arrest. God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery. Then Satan created Obamacare.

The problem is that government and unions are so hostile to business and industry that they have killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. We need real jobs, not make work. When the question of some insignificant vole or roach can stop development and cause massive unemployment, the nation is crippled. We need to be real about this. We need to be producing and selling things.

Sure, the nation needs a social safety net, but soon it becomes a hammock. There needs to be a return to productivity. Make work jobs won't do the trick. The economy is never going to heal itself. Those jobs that went overseas will never come back until there is a change in attitude.
I agree with this. We have to make things again. Real things. Personally I think we should be making things like photovoltaic cells. Our energy needs are such that that won't solve everything but if you could get everyone's refrigerator running on one for about $300-$400 and they would save that much in a year on their electric bill. We can sit and whine that this government sucks and isn't doing the right things for us. Or we can make connections with people who will bring their skills together and make an end run around the government and the corporate fat cats. We must look to improve our own lives and work in cooperation with others to make it happen. Individuals cannot hope to stand up to them but groups can. For if we start producing our own energy for ourselves on a large scale the big guys will notice and not like it. The government wants us enslaved to it, waiting on a rescue like the old time victim/princess waiting for Prince Charming to rescue her. But we must stand clear and make our own way. Raise our own food. Produce our own energy. Reduce what we "need" to live. Then instead of being owned by our possessions and manipulated by industrialist to buy the next generation game system or some other crap that we don't truly need, we will stand possessed of ourselves at last.

I see Putin is now having public relations issues as well,,he made a major change in the News Agency for his country,one that is "pro" Putin,,,seems the natives are getting restless all over the planet,maybe the Soviet people are tired also of working their fingers to the bone while their leader is one of the richest men in the world.If the world didn't base everything on money,,and everyone was equal,,think of how much less jealousy there would be.Course that is just a pipe dream,but it sure would solve a lot of issues all over the world.Guess during the Great Depression everyone was poor,and noone knew any diffrent,except those few that managed to stay afloat and come out on top.

Tax rates ever favoring the rich and those who derive income from investments have decimated the backbone of this country, who drive the economy. You want the US to be as prosperous as it was during the 1950s? Then set the taxable income rates for the top bracket back to the way they were (about 90% of income) as opposed to where they are now (about 35%) -- allowing the government to invest additional revenue into much-needed infrastructure improvement and employing citizens, who then spend their additional income and drive production to meet demand for their consumption. It's not because unions are demanding higher wages -- it's because we've become a tax haven for the mega rich, who find it easier to increase their wealth with international investments rather than "job creation" at home.

http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/history-of-federal-individual-1.html

Last edited:

Tax rates ever favoring the rich and those who derive income from investments have decimated the backbone of this country, who drive the economy. You want the US to be as prosperous as it was during the 1950s? Then set the taxable income rates for the top bracket back to the way they were (about 90% of income) as opposed to where they are now (about 35%) -- allowing the government to invest additional revenue into much-needed infrastructure improvement and employing citizens, who then spend their additional income and drive production to meet demand for their consumption. It's not because unions are demanding higher wages -- it's because we've become a tax haven for the mega rich, who find it easier to increase their wealth with international investments rather than "job creation" at home.

http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/history-of-federal-individual-1.html
Tell me one good reason that because someone makes more they should have to pay a higher tax rate.

Then tell me why when 2 people make the same amount the person with 1 child will have to pay more taxes then the person with 4 children.

Quote:

It is sad how many people still think this way. Taxing the wealthy more fixes nothing. Income tax its self is a flawed idea. What use to make the US great was import taxes. You could buy any item from any country but it came with a heavy tax. Things made here did not have that tax. Everyone had jobs that payed well cause it was cheaper to pay US workers here to make the things we used than to pay that tax. That tax is now gone an has been replaced by the income tax. You are now being taxed for your work that you cant even get cause it is now cheaper to import than pay you. An you are the one paying all the taxes cause the wealthy can afford to live anywhere in the world.

It took less than 100 years to swap from a import tax to an income tax. But it only took 20 years for it to fail an at the same time for people to forget what worked.

Sadly, the ultimate goal of liberalism is not uniform prosperity, but uniform poverty. The politics of envy, greed and jealousy are the bread and meat of some political parties. It is not that some people are doing so badly, but that some people are doing so well. Life is not like kindergarten where everyone gets two cookies no matter what. Some people are smarter and work harder. Other people just lay back and cry about other people's success.

When a government punishes people for succeeding and rewards the stupid and indolent, productive people with ideas and capital move on. That is why Florida has so many doctors, lawyers, engineers and entrepreneurs, all former Cubans.

You just have to look to Cuba to see the ultimate goal of the left. Nothing has been cleaned, painted or renewed since 1959. Why should people take care of property? It isn't theirs.

People go hungry while lands lay fallow. If the government doesn't work the land, no one else can.

I see why you know who shook Raul's hand. He recognized a kindred spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom