1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great Falls, MT - First time chicken owner...soon! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jonathan1981, May 31, 2017.

1. Jonathan1981

Jonathan1981 Just Hatched

May 31, 2017
    Great Falls
    Hi everyone! My fiancé and I built a house on 10 acres this past autumn, and I'm ready to begin homesteading a bit. I have never raised poultry, but am excited to get a small flock started this summer. I'm looking specifically for folks who raise/breed White Orpington chickens and American Buff geese, so if anyone has the hookup for these birds please point me in the right direction. Looking forward to chatting with folks on BYC! :)

Mountainbeauty likes this.
  2. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    :welcome Hope you get chickens soon they are more entertaining than you think lots of people watch their chickens and call it chicken TV

Jonathan1981 and drumstick diva like this.
  3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    :welcome

Jonathan1981 likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You can check on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for your specific breeds, but you cannot participate until you have made 20 posts. There may well be threads on the specific breeds, so it may be an idea to check those out also.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

Jonathan1981 likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

Jonathan1981 likes this.
  6. Mountainbeauty

Mountainbeauty Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2017
    I have been homesteading on a piece of land in NW Montana 4 hours nw of Great Falls. I have had my birds for over a year now and have steady been adding. over May my population went up almost 40 birds. i need to sell some really. My duck is hatchin 18 rit now. should all be out by mornin

7. Jonathan1981

May 31, 2017
    Great Falls
    Thank you! This is very helpful. :)

8. Jonathan1981

May 31, 2017
    Great Falls
    Congratulations on all of the babies joining your flock! What kind of ducks have you got?

9. Mountainbeauty

Mountainbeauty Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2017
    4 Muscovy's [3 famales and a male] and a cross breed i tried to look him up but he is cross and i cant figure it out so i will post a pic tomorrow and see if anyone can figure it out. I also have a lady goose. 9 Bantams two of tem roaster all different colors 9 chicks 4 buff chicks one more bantam due to atch. 10 baby ducks hactched today maybe more. 20 road island reds 1 buff brama a one blonde chick i cant remember what kind. and a roaster i am not sure what kind he is i will post pics tomorrow and see.

10. vachick15

vachick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by