careeka22

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Aylett VA
2nd hatch overnight chicks.jpg
2nd hatch chicks.jpg
2nd hatch all chicks.jpg
4 chicks.jpg
This was my 2nd hatch with my home-made cooler incubator. Using my own flocks eggs. First hatch was 9/11 and this time 15/16 :) The one that didn't hatch was fully developed but just didn't make it past lockdown. I love the colors! My Lavender Orp did good. Yellow, blue and one black chicks from my CA white hen, brown from my Buff Orp girl, 2 sexlinks from my Barred Rock hen and then the rest from my Australorp. They are too cute for words!

Incubator is just a cooler, a 25w bulb and containers of water with sponges to adjust humidity, ventilation holes. No thermostat.

Oh my goodness they're so adorable!! :love Great job on the incubator to get such good hatch rates! :celebrate
Not that I need another incubator...but I do have an old cooler...hehe. Which DIY did you use or did you come up with this on your own? :)

I forgot to add I used a picture frame on the top for look through, that left holes in the lid so I stuffed it with cotton to keep the heat in. My temps range from 99-104 but usually hold pretty steady at 100/102.

View attachment 1804299 View attachment 1804300 View attachment 1804301 View attachment 1804307 This was my 2nd hatch with my home-made cooler incubator. Using my own flocks eggs. First hatch was 9/11 and this time 15/16 :) The one that didn't hatch was fully developed but just didn't make it past lockdown. I love the colors! My Lavender Orp did good. Yellow, blue and one black chicks from my CA white hen, brown from my Buff Orp girl, 2 sexlinks from my Barred Rock hen and then the rest from my Australorp. They are too cute for words!

Incubator is just a cooler, a 25w bulb and containers of water with sponges to adjust humidity, ventilation holes. No thermostat.

Oh my goodness they're so adorable!! :love Great job on the incubator to get such good hatch rates! :celebrate
Not that I need another incubator...but I do have an old cooler...hehe. Which DIY did you use or did you come up with this on your own? :)

Thank you!! I looked at tons of ideas before deciding on this one. I played around with so many light bulbs and wattage before finding the perfect one. A big round 25w clear bulb. I had a fan and everything ready to install but that dropped the temp too much so I just left it out. During days 1-18 I just use one water container with half a sponge, humidity usually stays in the 40s. I rotate the eggs 3x a day by hand. On lockdown I added another water container and more sponges and that raised it up to 60/70s. I used rubber drawer matting and then pinned it above the water to prevent drowning. I had 2 hatch day 20, 9 hatched that night and 4 on day 21 :).

I forgot to add I used a picture frame on the top for look through, that left holes in the lid so I stuffed it with cotton to keep the heat in. My temps range from 99-104 but usually hold pretty steady at 100/102.
How did you do your ventilation? Iam using an old syrfome cooler! Thats the only thing i havent figured out yet????

How did you do your ventilation? Iam using an old syrfome cooler! Thats the only thing i havent figured out yet????

I drilled a few holes in the sides and can cover them if needed. I recently added a fan, that hatch is due Sat. I lost a lot early so interested to see how many hatch.

I drilled a few holes in the sides and can cover them if needed. I recently added a fan, that hatch is due Sat. I lost a lot early so interested to see how many hatch.
I have tons and tons of holes! My temp will not go down! Iam using a 25w light bulb

I have tons and tons of holes! My temp will not go down! Iam using a 25w light bulb

Hmmm the incubator space may be too small. Can you add in a fan by any chance? Play around with some dimmer bulbs too. It's definitely a science! My issues were always around if the AC was on or not, it would drop my temps. This hatch I did was so good because it was spring and temps were so steady lol

Back
Top Bottom