GREAT IDEA: Brooder Box Made from Old Dresser!

Mine is a 8'l x3'w x2-1/2' h wooden crate I hauled home from work. Put a split wire top on it and I can either divide it for smaller chicks or let them have the whole length. The heat lamp starts out hanging from the wire top then goes on top eventually. I usually start with lamps at either end, one inside, one on top. It gives them a range of temperatures to chose from. So far, very successfull.

No disrespect but Quotation should read " The best laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft aglae" Meaning is the same though .Hope you don't mind me saying...

e180a88d3052219b3cbb19c893c85270.jpg

I just did something similar recently. It's on pinterest.

I will say yours is a lot better, though! Excellent craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Would it work to take out the drawers and lay the dresser down on it's back? Then fashion screen covers and a door over the drawer rails. Set the lamp on the screen cover in one corner. It would be low on the floor, but more space for the many chicks that folks like me usually have.

On this design, I'd modify it to have more of a kick plate to hold litter in when the chicks scratch and when the door is opened.

LOL! I found the picture and intro to this on one of my favorite websites and came over here to post a link to it. Lo and behold when I clicked the link to read the full story it brought me here.
lau.gif

Looks great. If it were going to be somewhere where people would see it, it is a beautiful way to upcycle an old piece of furniture.

Had the same idea though, I'd take all drawers out and lay it on its back. Have one of the kid's old dressers in the garage that I'm going to just that to, in fact. Add some legs, some linoleum, and a lid and it will make a great brooder for this spring.

Back
Top Bottom