Great Pyrenees puppy eating chickens

poppyy

Hatching
May 4, 2015
Hi, a few months ago we got a Great Pyrenees puppy for our farm, he has been great with the goats and other animals - but unfortunately he has killed and eaten a few ducks and chickens :( Onviously I need to spend more time integrating him with the birds, but the thing that I'm worried about.....once he has eaten some, is there any going back ? Or will he always look at them as "food" now no matter what??

I can't answer your question, but I think if you posted a thread on this website, BackYardHerds, you would get more/better answers.
big_smile.png

Here is a link: http://www.backyardherds.com/forums/livestock-guardians.75/

you can rehab most dogs from killing chickens. for most dogs, it's the FUN of chasing them and if they do actually eat them, it's after the fact.

first, restrict his access to the chickens when you aren't there to supervise. A bit harder with a LGD so you may want to find a trainer who can teach you to use an e-collar to stop the behavior. It's often used in hunting dogs to stop "crittering" chasing/hunting unintended prey.

you can rehab most dogs from killing chickens.   for most dogs, it's the FUN of chasing them and if they do actually eat them, it's after the fact.

first, restrict his access to the chickens when you aren't there to supervise.   A bit harder with a LGD so you may want to find a trainer who can teach you to use an e-collar to stop the behavior.   It's often used in hunting dogs to stop "crittering"  chasing/hunting unintended prey.

Thank you so much for the tips. I will definitely contact a trainer and look into an e-collar, that sounds interesting, I didn't even know they existed!

Back
Top Bottom