Great Pyrenees Training

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
I have searched on here and found some great threads about GP's. We acquired a GP that was 3 years old 7 years ago sadly he passed a year ago from cancer.

His name was Zeus. He was the most loyal and obedient dog I have ever owned. He was fantastic with all our animals from day one. He came from our uncles who had to move and sell off his farm when I was still in high school. I then moved away to college my parents had him and I got married and took him back to our hobby farm. He was great with every animal and was an amazing dog in general.

I have read so much about GP's running away, barking all the time, "not listening", being hard to train and jumping a lot. Zeus did none of this. He was able to roam our 20 acres after 3 weeks of constant walking the fence line and teaching him his boundaries. He was able to stay unleashed and usually would sit at the barn or in between the barn and our house. He only barked to alarm. He never barked at new people (which is something I loved since I don't want a GP to fear humans).

All around the best dog I have ever had. Wish he didn't have to go.

On to my reason for posting. Did I train Zeus as a puppy? No. My uncle did. We are getting a GP male puppy Mid May.

I have talked to my uncle and he said he taught Zeus by making sure he was the boss. He was taught basic commands and was shown the world by interaction to everything on a leash right away as a puppy. He was corrected with command verbally and by leash when not paying attention.

I am looking for some tips on training this new puppy. I need a working dog but I need a dog that is family friendly too.

I found a reputable breeder who has asked me many questions and told me she would like to pick out the male that will suit our needs by behaviors seen in the puppies. We are all so excited to get another one of these amazing animals.

I know every dogs not the same but I am hoping with time and dedication I can train our new family member to be what I need him to be.

We just lost our GP last Monday. He will be missed, but never forgotten. He was the best farm/ranch dog we have ever had. He was beautiful and HUGE. He weighed 130 lbs and he was the runt of the litter!

He kept all predators away and always warned us when anyone that was not known to us was coming onto our property. He was great with any animal we had or added.

If any of the other dogs got out of line with baby or adult farm animals he would put them in their place, firmly but never hurting them either, just making his point clear. He was great with my grandson and kids and a big lovable teddy bear with us.

RIP Clyde! We love you. What it means to lose you few will ever know!

hugs.gif
to you both for your loss...

There are a few threads on this site & we have added a few online forum sites that talk lgd in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=livestock+guardian+dog+thread

I have seen this on the lgd.org website about
booklet available on The Ins and Outs of Livestock Guardians.
Does anybody have this book & is it any good?

Good luck on getting your next lgd.

Back
Top Bottom