Great Pyreneese fur troubles

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
I have this amazing (to me) Great Pyreneese, "Ludwig". I made a mistake and used some kind of conditioner, thinking it was the "instant no-rinse" detangler type - but no - his fur (on the top of his back) is seriously matted. I would be embarassed to take him to the groomer at this point (and he does go about 3-4 times/year). I've used " Show Sheen" horse mane detangler, but haven't had a lot of luck. He's starting to get vegetative matter stuck in his fur to the skin, and it's hard to brush it out w/out making his skin sore. I have a "Furrminator" brush ($45!) and numerous other rakes/brushes etc, but at this point I'm desperate. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sounds simple enough, but the weather sucks right now - cold and rainy- and cutting the fur off the top of his back will decrease his weather shield when the weather's crappy (like horses, they get "rain rot"), and possibly give him sunburn when it's sunny. I was really hoping for a miracle detangler and/or brush. Anyone know of any amazing products, or is that ridiculous?

I would shave him, but not all the way to the skin. You don't want him to get wooly worms or maggots, and if he is already getting sore, he needs relief.

Bath him using very warm water and Prell shampoo. Then rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar and work it into his coat. Comb him out and then rinse again thoroughly. The Prell should loosen up and release the conditioner, the cider vinegar should remove it from his coat. Plus the combination will also help kill any fleas. Then use a good conditioner on his coat, preferably one with some Aloe in it to help soothe any sore spots.

If you lived closer to me, you could bring him to my salon. I'd groom him with no embarrassment to you!!! If the mats are pulling at his skin at this time, the only way to relieve such a matted area would be to shave it. If you bathe the mats, they will pull tighter to the skin and cause more irritation. Plus, leaving the mats there, will trap dirt and such underneath, possibly causing a skin infection. I can't see exactly how matted your dog is obviously, but sometimes the coat can be saved by a professional groomer without causing any harm to him. I would call your groomer and see what she says and maybe she can make a suggestion. Just my opinion.

Please dont be embarassed!! Groomers see a lot worse than a few knots on the back. She/He might charge you a few extra dollars but you will be happier with the finished look of the dog and get a bath, nails and maybe a de-shed in the process.

If you had a Matte cutter brush you could cut thru the dreads with out cutting them off. They are a very good tool to have with that kind of dog.

dont be embarressed to take him to a groomer... whatever condition he is in BELIEVE ME, we have seen WORSE!!!
there is no magic solution, no magic brush, no magic conditioner.. most of it is hard work and elbow grease...
the furminator tool wont work on a pyr. the coat is too long (they lied)..

if he was in my shop.. i would use a DE-SHED shampoo and conditioner and leave in spray.. like the furminator "system" or "best shots".. but after the bath the best tool a groomer has for that kind of coat is the FORCE DRYER (they cost about $400+)
a good powerful force dryer (after a good bath and conditioner) will BLOW ALL the loose coat out and the matts away from the skin after getting force dryed... i would use a slicker brush, demat comb and a "coat king",, oh and that elbow grease i mentioned earlier....
this type of dog should see a groomer 4Xs a year.. twice in spring,, twice in fall...
OR shave him bald in april and july.....

just please get him done before he gets maggots.. i get SO MAD at people when i see a dog with maggots.. because it is gross, painfull and preventable!!!!

Last edited:
... and NEVER EVER USE HUMAN shampoo and conditioners!!!!!!
dog PH is different than humans.. yes it is close, but it is DIFFERENT!!! if you use human products on dogs to often or all the time you can CAUSE skin problems on your pet...
for a really really dirty dog you could even use DAWN (for dishes) ONE time!!! but if you do, you should wash a second time in a MILD soothing dog shampoo(like a hypo, or aloe.. NOT oatmeal).... rescuers use DAWN on wild animals after an oil spill,, it should be good enough for a really dirty gtPYR.... but only ONE time...
just buy a product made FOR dogs...

Back
Top Bottom