Green Been Recipes

I just added freshly dug red potatoes to my yellow wax ones yesterday!

Ham hocks are soo good with green beans too....

This is my favorite green bean dish:

Steam the green beans

Wash and quarter red potatoes (leave the skins on)
brown them in butter with a little salt and pepper

slice a pound of Keilbassa into bit sized pieces

When potatoes are almost tender, add the kielbassa and green beans, cover, and let all the flavors simmer together until potatoes are done.

Made myself hungry, now I have to go the store!!!!!
smile.png

anyone here make "dilly beans" ?

My son had some at a scout meeting and LOVES them, but I don't know what they are, or how they're made. They were canned. I'm thinking (though that often gets me in trouble) they're just dilled beans, like dilled pickles? He said they tasted sweet though?

I love all the recipes posted for green beans. We used to have 'em w/ the boiled potatoes when we were younger. YUMMM.. (and cornbread) haven't had that in forever! I usually just steam them, or use a skillet w/ garlic and oil once in awhile.

Slice up some bacon and fry it in a dutch oven. When It's almost done add a good amount of sliced onion and cook until almost done. Scoop the bacon and onion to the side of the pan and pour in a little bit of water. Add some beef bouillon and stir well. Add green beans and peper. Cook on top of stove until done, stirring occasionally.

Here are the approximate proportions I like to use:

For enough green beans to fill a 1 gallon ziploc, I use about 3/4 of a package of bacon, 1 medium onion, about 1/4 cup of water and maybe 1 Tbsp bouillon.

Ok, so this isn't the healthiest recipe, but it's soooo good!!!!!

Our favorite green bean recipe....

Green Bean Salad

Cook fresh green beans al dente, drain and toss with several chopped cloves of garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and EVOO.

Alternately, add chopped garlic, and sprinkle vinaigrette dressing on top.

Place on top of fresh lettuce. Sprinkle with feta or blue cheese, if desired. Top with some freshly chopped tomatoes.

Can be set aside for up to 15 minutes before serving.

Pecan Green Beans

2 pounds fresh small green beans
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook green beans & 1/2 teaspoon salt in boiling water until crisp-tender. Drain & rinse w/cold water to stop the cooking process; drain again.

Melt butter in a large skillet; add pecans & saute' until lightly browned.

Add green beans to skillet; stir & season w/salt & pepper to taste.

Mine is a bit simple.

Green beans cleaned and snapped to size bites. Place in a water bath, add one package of Goya ham season flavor and bring to boil till fork tender.

ML

This is different, but good! nice glaze on the beans-& fast!

Chao-Ssu-Chi-Tou (I have no idea what that means but it was written on top of the paper given to me)
maybe String Beans & Water Chestnuts?

1 pound green beans
2 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon chicken broth.

Cut beans into 2" pieces. Heat oil in wok. Stir fry beans 3 minutes. Add salt, sugar & water chestnuts & cook over moderate heat 3 minutes or until beans are tender-crisp.
Restir cornstarch mixture & add; stir until beans are coated w/glaze. Serves 4.

I blanch my green beans in boiling water for about 3 minutes to set the color.

Take them out and into ice cold water to stop the cooking. It leaves them crisp.

Then I heat a little butter, lemon juice and a touch of salt and pepper in a skillet.

In go the green beans for a quick toss and they get a quick sear.

Yummm!

Back
Top Bottom