GREEN duck eggs??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suenrob, Sep 15, 2008.

1. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I was just given 7 large green duck eggs to incubate! I have never hatched duck eggs, but said I would give it a shot.

Which ducks lay green eggs? All I know about the mother is that she is white, and one of the fathers is black.

Oh, I can't tell the large end from the small end like a chicken egg, so how do I know whick end to put in the turner?????

Any info would be much appreciated.

I'm headed back to the forum to look up some info.......

Thanks [​IMG]

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I don't know anything about duck eggs, but someone will help out soon.
    Good luck! [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

3. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I am not really much help as I don't know the different breeds that lay green eggs, but my mallard duck lays green ones and they are similiar to what you describe in the sense that some of them are really hard to tell which end is which, usually if I hold the egg between my figures and extend my arm out to look at the egg it helps to distinguish which end is which, although some of them no matter how I look at it I am not sure.

4. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    my grey calls lay greenish colored eggs. they have a mallard coloring to them.

5. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    cayugas can lay a greenish -to almost black egg at the beginning--they lighten over time...

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Runners also can lay a greenish egg

7. jacksdad3

jacksdad3 New Egg

Mar 24, 2011
    Amherst, NH
    Our new Fawn Indian Runners are just starting to lay eggs and this morning, we had a green one, about the size of a XL chicken egg.

8. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    What age do runners start laying? I currently have 4 that are only 4 weeks old but still would be interested to know.

*hugs* Heather x

9. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    If you lay the egg on its side on a hard surface, the pointy end will sit slightly lower than the round end, due to the round end having an air sac which makes it lighter.

My runners lay both white and green eggs. The darker the duck, the darker the egg I find.

Don't forget it takes 28 days for duck eggs to hatch, unless they are muscovies when it is 35, and humidity is higher during lockdown than for chickens.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by